Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If public assistance was gone tomorrow...

What would you do?

I'm tired of people abusing PA.

We need to shut that shit off, immediately. Everyone should become their own problem. I have to help support my family. Why shouldn't others? It's very unfair.

by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM
Replies (181-190):
joshlor2
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Wouldn't bother me a bit, but I do know of people that have used it as it was intended. For a short period of time until they got back on their feet.
I believe time time limits should be set, and goals should be set out for those on the assistance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama2beautiesnb
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:46 AM
I hear ya mama. Hugs and good luck to ya. :)

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

Yeah. I don't have a chilis here. We have sonic and McDonald's. I have no dh to watch the kids when he gets off work so I can work. My ds is special needs and I can't just stick him whereever.

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

I've done the whole waitress thing. At chili's. I am one of those ppl who should never take on that job. I will admit no matter how hard i tried i sucked at it. I could only work lunch and was lucky if i took home maybe twenty bucks a day. When ur getting paid 2.13 an hour isn't much. Lived across town from where i worked so most of my tips ended up in my gas tank. It almost cost me to have a job. Thank god dh had a good job tho cause i ended up having to go on bed rest and an earlier c section which cost me my job.

Quoting Mommyof2n0308:

Right! I quit my job 3 years ago when ds became very sick. I had to, obviously as a sungle mom it was financially devastating to us. Now he's stable and I can not find a job anywhere. Even if I got a pt time shift at one of the two restraunts in my town happened to hire me it'd most likely he night shift where the only 3 daycare centers in town would be shut down during that time. It's a vicious circle.

Quoting mama2beautiesnb:

Where i live, mcdonalds is on a hiring freeze, wal mart is only hiring management positions which i applied for and was told i'm under qualified, and i'm stuck doing min wage at taco bell. I won't even dream of even a 5 cent raise for another 6 months. I have a friend whom job searches daily and she can't find anything. There really are small towns where ppl cannot find jobs or well paying ones and we don't exactly have the money to just move out.

Quoting KatieGirls2:

Maybe if they were actually hungry they would get one of the many jobs available that they pass up cause it's easier to sit on their couch and collect a check... I don't know anyone on pa that really needs it. Heck one family I know the wife is a stay at home mom while her dh goes to school. He quit his very good job to live of the government for the next three years... that is the stuff I am sick of....

Quoting jadsmummy:

Yep let all the poor starve good plan. Some people abuse it but most use it as a hand up to improve their lives.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BeAmy
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:47 AM
NOOOO id lose my customers who use their EBT card to buy things from my smoke shop. Lol
My mom is very ill, had brain surgery and it's just been a tough surgery since. She's on SSI and is upset and wants to work but I know the reality is she can't. People like my mom, real cases, need it.
My dad had polio, was in a wheelchair his whole life. He went to college, he drove himself around with the help of hand controls and two door cars (to lift his chair in behind his seat) he bought 2 houses, got up every morning and got ready for work. If he can do it these people dont have a damn excuse. Really it pisses me off how people abuse the system. Maybe you don't know what I mean and need to visit rockland county, ny
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRobinson06
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:49 AM
It wouldnt change a thing for me since ive never used it a day in my life. Im one of those people that actually established myself in a decent career before i started having children and i did that without a college degree. Imo, people dont try hard enough to better themselves so while i work hard for everything i have, others are allowed to stay home and make excuses for not working to provide better for their families.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vrbtnseele
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:49 AM
I'm on disability, I can not hold a job. So, with just my disability, I'd beable to survive, but I'd have to tell my mom I can't pay rent and hope she let's me and my 13 month old stay.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Robbin74
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

What would you do? I guess I'd be feeding as many people as I possibly could with what we have. I know decent people are a dying breed in this country, but my momma raised me to care for others, so that's what I'd do.

I'm tired of people abusing PA.    There are less people abusing the system than there are on it, and need it. Are you really so greedy to let hundreds of thousands of children go hungry over the fraction that do abuse? It makes no sense. I'd die If I had to see an American child on the street chasing rats for dinner.

We need to shut that shit off, immediately. Everyone should become their own problem. I have to help support my family. Why shouldn't others? It's very unfair.  Not everyone lives your life. You do realize what's going on with our economy right now...? People that have been working and taking care of their families all along have been laid off or just plain lost their jobs because of all this stuff going on. If they need help, it should be there for them. Also, a lot of people on WF/FS are only on it to get them to a better place in the long run. If they are bettering themselves that's very positive.

I think you'd feel very different if you were in a position and needed help. What if it wasn't there and you needed it. Don't say it would never happen either because anything is possible.  Be proud your family is making it on it's own, but you can't possibly know every families situation and say take that shit away!  It's immature thinking and it looks like your jealous people get cut a check and you have to work for yours. Technically it's true, but it's all a process. Jobs just don't jump up and say take me!

wissotamum
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Can you post a link to that study please?  I haven't seen that one.

Quoting I_love_my_girls:

There was a study that PROVES the MAJORITY of people, use PA for the 5+ to up to the rest of their lives.

Quoting jadsmummy:

Yep let all the poor starve good plan. Some people abuse it but most use it as a hand up to improve their lives.

mommajenn4684
by on May. 17, 2012 at 8:59 AM
We should just hunger games all the people on PA that would thin the herd and maybe get them to start working for what they need. ( sarcasm at its finest right here) I've seen both people who need it and people who abuse it. I think if they looked a little harder into the system they could weed out the fraud but they won't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsLeftlane
by on May. 17, 2012 at 9:02 AM

So you want innocent children to starve? Sorry, but there's no instant solution to the problem.

Btw, we're not on PA thankfully..

JrsMommy07
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Exvatly. Not everyone on PA abuses it some of us actaully need it. Im a single parent (because of abusive sitatuions)
Im working and in school. I get foodstamps daycare and the kids get medcaide. I dont quailfy cuz apprently I make too much even though I make very little. I have actually turned down TANF and WIC even though I qualify because I really dont need them and would rather it go to someone who does. If we shut off PA people who really need it and are trying hard will suffer even more. MY kdis gotta eat. And guess what alot of us work and pay taxes and OUR tax monety is going their too.

I also hate people who abuse the system and gues what I have reported them.

BUt you cannot put everyone in a box.

But your not going to listen. You have your mind made up and are to ignorant to hear otherwise.

I am done here

Quoting shadow_lark:

your ignorance is showing.  you might want to tuck it away before someone cuts your head off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)