Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If public assistance was gone tomorrow...

What would you do?

I'm tired of people abusing PA.

We need to shut that shit off, immediately. Everyone should become their own problem. I have to help support my family. Why shouldn't others? It's very unfair.

by on May. 17, 2012 at 12:23 AM
Replies (321-330):
michiganmom5150
by on May. 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
As an adult educator, I became aware of how much it is abused... These girls would come in bragging about what they got and how much $ they got...kinda made me sick. The ones who used it that needed it, never said a word about it, I just knew they were on it because of their financial records...they need to do some better research when doing this. I'm sorry, but if you are a sahm or a student, but live with your bf who make $60k a year, you should not qualify for PA, but they lie, say bf doesn't live there so they get it...it is abused.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dbush0584
by on May. 18, 2012 at 3:47 PM
I work almost 50+ hours a week plus take 18 credit hours at school and take care of 3 kids, a dog, a snake, and my bf. I still have pa.

Oh yeah and i don't lie
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesAndNicksMom
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM

There's a pretty big list of public assistance programs...  This is from usa.gov.  Just because you don't like the trashy girls you're talking about doesn't mean that someone who needs weatherization assistance would do the same lol

Homes and Housing Assistance

celestegood
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM

An honest question?  Wouldn't said woman need to show a lease agreement to show who lives in their household?  If the boyfriend is on the lease, he would be counted in the household.

Quoting michiganmom5150:

As an adult educator, I became aware of how much it is abused... These girls would come in bragging about what they got and how much $ they got...kinda made me sick. The ones who used it that needed it, never said a word about it, I just knew they were on it because of their financial records...they need to do some better research when doing this. I'm sorry, but if you are a sahm or a student, but live with your bf who make $60k a year, you should not qualify for PA, but they lie, say bf doesn't live there so they get it...it is abused.

MaddysMommy2909
by on May. 18, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I have needed help before but I think there should definatley be a time limit. You should only be able to get so much or something. I cant stand people that live off it their whole lives and never try to do any better because they know it will always be there. Also if you do drugs you shouldnt get them at all. 

ladybuggy77
by on May. 19, 2012 at 1:08 AM
Well I don't agree with you I used to have a job that payed me alot but I now make less than half of what I made before I'm a single mom and work very very hard for what I have but I need that help until I can get things right so for moms like me who don't abuse it I say no and for others who do yes maybe the system just needs a better monitoring system for those who do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
embersparkle
by on May. 19, 2012 at 1:19 AM
My dh lived with me before we were married..I turned it in and his income ...I don't lie to get pa..and I can't imagine why someone would want to brag about it lol it not fun to need it..people are nuts.

Quoting michiganmom5150:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marmie41
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I would do the same as always.  We are not on public assistance, so it would not effect my life if it no longer existed.

MariannLewis
by on May. 20, 2012 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this
It will be life and death. The world would just blow up. Run for your lives!!!

America got buy before PA was a available. We would do it again. We would need solutions not panic. I for one would up my donations to homeless shelters and soup kitchens. I would encourage my committees to maybe start family fostering programs.

To say that all income lvls would be affected is probably correct. We all would be affected to an extent. More so than others.
lil_mama06
by Brian's Lil Vixen on May. 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Was there when we needed it..

Quoting amyrw:

I'd do the same thing as I'm doing now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)