Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Poll

Question: pot luck weddings are....??

Options:

tacky

fine

great

fine if you say NO gifts

GREAT if you say NO gifts

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 190

View Results

The month of May is the Nerofibromatosis awarness month. 

One of the major signs are cafe au lait spots (flat brown spots on the skin).

Please research this disorder! 

I have this disorder myself.

CLICK PHOTO FOR MORE INFO!

by on May. 18, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Replies (41-50):
snowpeasmom
by Long legged mama on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM
This

Quoting sandra_t00:

If it is a small wedding, with close family and friends I see no problem with it.

If it is a fairly big wedding, with not so close friends, and out of town family, tacky as HELL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadsmummy
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Quoting M0M0F3B0YS82:

I think they have better food and more fun since most pot luck weddings I've been to they were close friends ad family and we all pigged out and partied Less stress on bride and groom and what a better way to celebrate then with food

Too many weddings today are uptight, snobbish, insanely expensive, and ridged. I would much rather go to a wedding that truly reflected the bride and groom and not a cookie cutter keep up with the Jonses version of Bridal Magazine.

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Ours was not expensive for a cattered wedding. We had stake and haddock for dinner, tropical theme.  it ran us about 10k,.....my bros was 40k O_O.

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting M0M0F3B0YS82:

I think they have better food and more fun since most pot luck weddings I've been to they were close friends ad family and we all pigged out and partied Less stress on bride and groom and what a better way to celebrate then with food

Too many weddings today are uptight, snobbish, insanely expensive, and ridged. I would much rather go to a wedding that truly reflected the bride and groom and not a cookie cutter keep up with the Jonses version of Bridal Magazine.

Mama2ETA
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Eh, I think it's tacky. With that said, my family did make the food for my wedding. It was yummmmmmmy, but it was in no way a potluck wedding. I had a pretty good sized wedding, and only my immediate family, and grandparents brought anything at all. 

There is a big difference between family bringing foods (like few, and planned out instead of the catering) and having a pot luck wedding where everyone brings something. That's jmho.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

I can't wait to go to my friends pot luck wedding. Her family can COOOOOKKKKK! Her brother is a cheif.

M0M0F3B0YS82
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:22 PM
Ours was very laid back and fun we didn't worry about all the doodads and crap it was about us and our vows to each other my mom made our cake

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting M0M0F3B0YS82:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM

here are a few pics of our weddings

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting M0M0F3B0YS82:

alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM

We had a small family and close friends wedding. Less than 30 people. All of DH's family brought food and it was okay. It wasn't how I had pictured my wedding but when you do it last minute you accept all the help you can. LOL.

We are doing a "real" wedding and honeymoon at 20 years. Only 10 1/2 more years to go. =D

jadsmummy
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:33 PM

The pictures of your wedding are so lovely. :) It looks like you had a fantastic time. 40k for a wedding?! That's nuts.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

Ours was not expensive for a cattered wedding. We had stake and haddock for dinner, tropical theme.  it ran us about 10k,.....my bros was 40k O_O.

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting M0M0F3B0YS82:

jadsmummy
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:38 PM

To me its about the marriage, not about the wedding. DH and I eloped, and then later had a small reception. We didn't even spend 600 bucks and had a wonderful time as did our close friends and the few family we have here in the USA. His family on the other hand had a MASSIVE wedding reception for us, I have yet to see pictures. I do hear often that it we had a great wedding reception LOL. Several hundred people, lots of food, my inlaws roasted I think 2 sheep, when my inlaws throw a party they throw a party.

Quoting M0M0F3B0YS82:

Ours was very laid back and fun we didn't worry about all the doodads and crap it was about us and our vows to each other my mom made our cake

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting M0M0F3B0YS82:

jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM

You gotta do what you gotta do...

I don't think pot lucks are tacky, but if you are doing pot luck, expect THAT to be part of your wedding gift and don't be a bridezilla if you don't get more than than.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)