Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How much should I negotiate - job offer? (X posted)

Posted by on May. 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM
  • 23 Replies

I have been some what looking for a new job. I have seriously been pounding the pavement or anything, but I have sent out my resume to a few places that I knew were looking to hire.

Well on Wednesday afternoon I received a call from a potential employer. We talked for probably an hour and half or longer. The call was a pre-screening interview. I can tell the woman really liked me. She really had me interested in the job. I would pretty much be doing exactly what I am doing, but in less stressful smaller office setting. I would also get the job title that I have been working towards at my current place of employment.

I really think that the woman wants to hire me, because she wants me to call her back to set up an interview for next week. She also asked typical questions at the end of the interview that people don't normally ask if they do not intend to hire you. Some of the questions included: "How much notice are you looking to give your current job?" "What are your salary requirements?"

I told what I currently make, so the offer would need to be more than what I currently make for me to even consider. However, I didn't specify how much more.

Throughout my conversation, I only had one concern with the company -  they do not offer medical benefits. They do offer a retirement package and they help contribute to your 401K, but the do not offer health/dental insurance. The reason being that it has never been a need. They are a small office and everyone other than the owner has insurance through their spouse.

My current job pays for my insurance 100%. Granted it is really sucky insurance (no dental and high premiums).

The woman that interviewed me on the phone said that they would be wiling to negotiate health insurance and at the very least, they would make sure that my salary compensated for not having health insurance, that way I could pay for my own plan.  

This job has much more flexible hours, and the option to work at home when my kids are sick and once they start school I can work during school hours for part of the day, and work from home the rest (yes, she specifically mentioned this).

So my question is, how much more a year would be a good enough offer? How much mroe than I already make would be a good offer?

by on May. 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aspiemom0203
by on May. 18, 2012 at 2:40 PM
At least 10k
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaralynnStewart
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2012 at 2:44 PM
How much do they contribute to 401K? Do you currently have 401k? Do you have full health,dental, vision with your existing employer or just health? How about insurance/sick time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaralynnStewart
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2012 at 2:46 PM
Also. Is it close to home or further then your existing employer? You mentioned you could work from home if possible do they provided laptops or contribute towards your Internet/ phone use?

Quoting TaralynnStewart:

How much do they contribute to 401K? Do you currently have 401k? Do you have full health,dental, vision with your existing employer or just health? How about insurance/sick time?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Quoting Aspiemom0203:

At least 10k

Really that doesn't seem steep?

Let me clarify my work only pays for insurance for me. My DH and both my kids have insurance. I have gotten really good (like 10x better than what I have now) for only 3k a year. This includes dental, RX and maternity coverage.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I do currently have a 401K, my existing employer matches what you contribute up to 5%. My potentialemployer will match up to 10%. I have health and life only with my current employer. Both places offer 2 weeks of vacation time (that can also be used as sick time).

I could not possibly work closer to home, because my current job is less than a mile form my house. But the new job is about 5 miles (which really isn't that bad). I will also get to make my own schedule. I will be expected to work 40 hours a week, but I can decide how early or late I want to work. So I won't be in a rush in the mornings.

As far as working from home, she did mention that I could use a company laptop if I choose on days that I plan to work from home and I will have access to remote login to use on emergency days (like when my kids are sick).

I would expect them to contribute to my Internet/phone usage for a couple of different reasons. I would consider it a privilege... KWIM?

Quoting TaralynnStewart:

Also. Is it close to home or further then your existing employer? You mentioned you could work from home if possible do they provided laptops or contribute towards your Internet/ phone use?

Quoting TaralynnStewart:

How much do they contribute to 401K?  Do you currently have 401k? Do you have full health,dental, vision with your existing employer or just health? How about insurance/sick time?

Aspiemom0203
by on May. 18, 2012 at 3:05 PM
What's your field? I was in charge of hiring my employees where I worked before both for professional and blue collar. You already told her you needed medical and a salary increase and she took that well. I would start high and negotiate down. I never offered a salary more than what they asked for, but I did negotiate some. Sometimes I would give them what they wanted. She already knows a range she's willing to pay. Say 30-45k or 50-60k. It's a range. Depending on experience you will go in that range. Since it seems you have the experience she will be willing to pay at the top. You can just say for example I would ideally like 55k but that's negotiable. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beaugrl0824
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Do some research on how much a plan would cost you and go from there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Quoting beaugrl0824:

Do some research on how much a plan would cost you and go from there.

A really top-notch plan would cost me about 3k a year.

LiesLiesLies
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2012 at 3:19 PM
10-15% more than your current salary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2012 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Aspiemom0203:

What's your field? I was in charge of hiring my employees where I worked before both for professional and blue collar. You already told her you needed medical and a salary increase and she took that well. I would start high and negotiate down. I never offered a salary more than what they asked for, but I did negotiate some. Sometimes I would give them what they wanted. She already knows a range she's willing to pay. Say 30-45k or 50-60k. It's a range. Depending on experience you will go in that range. Since it seems you have the experience she will be willing to pay at the top. You can just say for example I would ideally like 55k but that's negotiable. Good luck!

I have always performed clerical work. Right now I am in the legal field, but I haven't always been. With the new company, I will stay within the legal field. Currently my job title is "receptionist" which I hate with a passion, because I do sooo much more than answer the damn phones. (Sorry that was my mini rant).

I'm scared to start out too high. But I like the idea of offering more than what I expect.

The absolute lowest I would take is 5k more than what I make right now, so I think I might offer 7 or 8. I am scared that 10k more might scare her off.

I am really hoping that she makes the first offer, since she already knows that I expect a salary increase plus compensation for medical benefits.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)