Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

what would you do if you heard a mother cussing out an autistic child?

Posted by   + Show Post
My neighbor is screaming at the top of her lungs at her son (who appears to be extremely autistic) over an i-pad. She's freaking out on both her kids (1 year old and 3 year old) about how awful they are and swearing over and over about how he took the i-pad...I feel so sorry for them..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 18, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Replies (21-30):
Bubbles318
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Even if the kid WASN'T autistic, I'd still freak out! One time, my daughter and I were at the park. Another little boy showed up and started acting HORRIBLY. His mother sat in her car then, when he got near her, she started swearing at him, screaming at him, etc. I was like "OK, we gotta go. SOME people don't know how to raise their kids..." And we left. No wonder the kid, who was probably 4 or 5, was swearing like it was no big deal. UGH.

Roadfamily6now
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd probably try to make friends with her and see if I could help.

My SIL has 2 autistic children and they don't yell at them but instead they basically ignore them. It's rather sad.  I do the best I can to engage the children when they are around.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

i have an autistic child. and honestly? i would go up and explain that i have an ASD child, and that i understand, and ask if she needed a break. 

sometimes, its hard. and i mean HARD to keep your cool. 

nicoal4
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM
4 moms liked this

I was just about to post about how I feel HORRIBLE but I have been screaming all the time I have 5 little girls one adhd and they fight they are not listening I am up most the night nursing I am so tired of the choas You have know idea if this is the type of post you are writing I NEVER get a break. BUT I feel horrible I lay in bed at night and beg god to give me the strength to wake up and handle stress better, I may yell allot right now but they barely get spanked and I LOVE MY BABIES with everything in me. SO she probable just is at her wits ends with everything and if the babies are not being harmed its none of your business it maybe something she is dealing with, What do you want to do call dcfs so what they can come over and get in her business they wouldn't take the kids BUT if they did do you think that is better for them being the state over a family that probable loves them very much just isn't awesome at stress. 

FL2AK
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:37 AM
I don't feel that the child being autistic makes it any worse. Maybe she is at her whits end.
prettygirl326
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2012 at 12:38 AM

um yeah what did she expect?! everyone knows you can't have that stuff around babies! autistic or not, babies destroy everything!

mommyofblueyes
by April on May. 21, 2012 at 12:44 AM
2 moms liked this

I have a 4 year old with autism, and a 1 year old.  My 1 year old wakes up 3-4 times a night, my husband works all day, and I stay home with the kids, so I understand her frustration.  I won't lie...I yell a lot.  I don't necessarily agree with the cusing, but I have slipped.  I would either MYOB, or go over and offer help.  I know that I would love a break!  

NiCo86
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:47 AM
6 moms liked this

mind your own business. you don't know what goes on inside this family dynamics. especially if you are saying that the child is special needs, it can very easily be a wits end deal. Unless you see these children being beat or starved, neglected, or straight up abused ... stay out of it.

how would you like it if you had a break down dealing with your kids and a random mom saw this and stepped in either 1) telling you how to handle your own children 2) implying that they can do better than you or 3) getting CPS involved.

Unless you know for a firsthand fact that these children are in any type of danger, I'd keep my nose out of it. Dad will be around soon enough (as you said, Dad handles it better than Mom) and he can help calm her.

Quoting touchingstars:

But I faild to mention earlier is she is belittling them thats emotional abuse.

MegClayton
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:47 AM
2 moms liked this

Hmm...I don't know what I would do but I would def be concerned over their well being. Autistic or not...you don't scream and curse at a child. Especially a 1 and 3 year old....

ms.keisha17
Hello 34 weeks. So happy baby shower went great. Next ultrasound at 35 weeks can't wait
Monday at 7:44 PM
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:48 AM
I would mind my business every now and then moms gotta yell or let it out
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)