Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

OMG! Get the "F" over it already! It is not racist!!!!!!!! Oregon bans Native American mascots in schools

Posted by   + Show Post

Eight Oregon high schools will have to retire their Native American mascots after the Board of Education voted Thursday to prohibit them, giving the state some of the nation's toughest restrictions on Native American mascots, nicknames and logos.

The 5-1 vote followed months of passionate and emotional debate about tolerance and tradition.

The schools have five years to comply with the order or risk losing their state funding. Another seven high schools identified as the Warriors will be allowed to keep their nickname but will have to change mascots or graphics that depict Native Americans. An unknown number of elementary and middle schools also will be affected.

The ban doesn't apply to colleges, but none in Oregon have Native American mascots after Southern Oregon University and Chemeketa Community College dropped them.

Since the 1970s, more than 600 high school and college teams across the country have done away with their Native American nicknames, including 20 in Oregon.

Critics say Indian mascots are racist, contending they reinforce stereotypes and promote bullying of Native students. Supporters say the mascots are a way to honor Native American history, evoking values of strength and bravery.

"It is racist. It is harmful. It is shaming. It is dehumanizing," Se-ah-dom Edmo, vice president of the Oregon Indian Education Association, told the board.

In 2006, the Oregon Board of Education adopted a nonbinding recommendation that schools stop using Native mascots. A handful did, but some small communities have resisted the trend, saying the nicknames are a source of pride.

"It's a chance for us to talk about family and tradition and loyalty," said Jim Smith, principal of Banks High School -- home of the Braves -- who grew up on the Fort Peck Reservation in Montana.

Banks, west of Portland, has a logo depicting an Indian head on the gymnasium floor and walls, and even on the hurdles used by the track team. When the Star Spangled Banner is played at the beginning of every game, the crowd joins in and tweaks the last stanza: "and the home of the Braves."

Some critics of the ban said they were concerned about the costs of changing sports uniforms and equipment, school letterhead and street signs.

In some areas, schools have worked with nearby tribes to change their practices without changing their nickname. Roseburg High School, home of the Indians, switched a logo depicting a Native American to a simple feather. Molalla High School changed sports jerseys to say "Molalla" instead of "Indians" and stopped using a mascot dressed like a Native American to lead cheers.

Students and teachers from schools with Native American nicknames packed two public hearings on the topic. Some suggested they be allowed to keep their Indian nicknames if nearby tribes consent.

The board rejected that idea, with board member Artemio Paz describing it as a "search for acceptable levels of racism."

Native American mascots are a form of oppression that contributes to isolation among Native Americans and its social consequences, said Tom Ball, assistant vice president of equity and diversity at the University of Oregon. Those include high rates of suicide, incarceration and school dropout.

Oregon Department of Education officials say Wisconsin is the only other state to enact restrictions on Native American mascots. Wisconsin's law, approved by the Legislature in 2010, requires school boards to prove that their Indian mascots don't promote discrimination, harassment or stereotyping if someone complains. Dozens of Wisconsin schools still have Native American mascots.

The NCAA limits the use of imagery and names considered hostile and abusive, and a debate still rages over the University of North Dakota's "Fighting Sioux" nickname and a logo with the profile of an American Indian warrior.

The Oregon Legislature voted in 2001 to eliminate the word "squaw" from geographic names because many Native Americans consider it offensive.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/18/oregon-bans-native-american-mascots-in-schools/?test=latestnews#ixzz1vH7YAzdP

by on May. 18, 2012 at 9:34 PM
Replies (81-90):
Apollos82
by on May. 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I grew up in a town that will have to change their name.....AGAIN. BLAH!! It's like a huge town joke.

In 2003, I think, the two school districts joint, forming what is now district 21, and the Eagle-Indians. However, it too almost a year to settle on the name of the new high school and it's mascots. It was a huge dividing point in our town because BOTH districts had been there since the beginning--1910-ish! The highschool went through SEVERAL name changes, one of which was The Dalles Wahtonka Eagle Indians Memorial Highschool. Yeah. Say that five times fast. (By the way, that's "Dalles" and is Gals, but with a "D", NOT Dallas. And Wahtnka: Wa-Tonk-a. And "The IS part of the name, don't leave it off.)

Anyway...TDWEIMHS didn't last long. Then it was The Dalles Wahtonka Union High school. (Or...T-WUS.) That didn't last long either. Now, it's just The Dalles Wahtonka Highschool. Or, T-Dub.

Trying to combine the mascot was even trickier. BOTH districts were very proud of their mascots, as the should be, so after being Salmon and a few other silly things, a hyphen was added. Eagle-Indians. The mascot is a wonderful combo of art work from both districts' mascots...

And now, after spending all that money, the fights and uproar it all caused, all the headaches....They have to change it AGAIN. GREAT.

Dollyrot
by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha!

Quoting Fallaya:

Ah, white privilege.  It must be nice to have the ability to pick and choose what is considered racist and what isn't.  

MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Quoting Jynnifer292:

The issue is not only the stereotypes, but the use of Native American regalia that is meant to be worn in spiritual ceremonies or meant to be worn by those held in high esteem. I recall a pig in a ceremonial headress sent out onto a football field, very disrespectful.

I can agree with this since I'd imagine it would be like perhaps sending out a pig with a pope's hat on it or a rosary.  But people don't know...I didn't know the headresses had religious aspects for example.  Perhaps what people need to do is make sure their mascots are respectful and correct, not just something out of an old western movie.  Then maybe Oregon law can be reversed.

MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2012 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Apollos82:

I grew up in a town that will have to change their name.....AGAIN. BLAH!! It's like a huge town joke.

In 2003, I think, the two school districts joint, forming what is now district 21, and the Eagle-Indians. However, it too almost a year to settle on the name of the new high school and it's mascots. It was a huge dividing point in our town because BOTH districts had been there since the beginning--1910-ish! The highschool went through SEVERAL name changes, one of which was The Dalles Wahtonka Eagle Indians Memorial Highschool. Yeah. Say that five times fast. (By the way, that's "Dalles" and is Gals, but with a "D", NOT Dallas. And Wahtnka: Wa-Tonk-a. And "The IS part of the name, don't leave it off.)

Anyway...TDWEIMHS didn't last long. Then it was The Dalles Wahtonka Union High school. (Or...T-WUS.) That didn't last long either. Now, it's just The Dalles Wahtonka Highschool. Or, T-Dub.

Trying to combine the mascot was even trickier. BOTH districts were very proud of their mascots, as the should be, so after being Salmon and a few other silly things, a hyphen was added. Eagle-Indians. The mascot is a wonderful combo of art work from both districts' mascots...

And now, after spending all that money, the fights and uproar it all caused, all the headaches....They have to change it AGAIN. GREAT.

Just call it Politically Correct High school and make a statement plus have a neutral name..

MammaPaparazza
by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:24 PM
Government needs to get a fucking grip, and stop being so nit picky and fix all the other serious shit that is going on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Quoting Jynnifer292:

Wow, yeah, that is super flattering. Some guy dancing around on a field wearing a headdress, something that only the most powerful and influential members of the Native American community wear. It has a spiritual meaning. What an honor.

eye rolling 

Well in defense of the guy I don't think a lot of people know that...I didn't know for one.  Therefore people are not trying to be insulting, in fact they may think they are honoring the native americans.  Perhaps because I don't have a kid in h.s. nor am I hugely loyal to mascots I don't care...I can understand why the NAs are annoyed.

CaptainFeast
by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM

RedRozeMom
by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM
That's not honoring or flattering.....it looks like someone making fun of native tradition and culture...

Quoting MicheleJM:

Quoting Jynnifer292:

Wow, yeah, that is super flattering. Some guy dancing around on a field wearing a headdress, something that only the most powerful and influential members of the Native American community wear. It has a spiritual meaning. What an honor.

eye rolling 

Well in defense of the guy I don't think a lot of people know that...I didn't know for one.  Therefore people are not trying to be insulting, in fact they may think they are honoring the native americans.  Perhaps because I don't have a kid in h.s. nor am I hugely loyal to mascots I don't care...I can understand why the NAs are annoyed.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaptainFeast
by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Some black people don't mind the "N-word"--hell, some drop it all the time. Does it make it any less racist?

Quoting Dollyrot:

No. SOME Native Americans are saying they find it offensive.

I hardly think you can say something like "It's what Native Americans want".. how ridiculous to make a statement that says every one of them, as a collective whole, feel the same way. Like any large group of people, there are going to be different opinions.

CaptainFeast
by on May. 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I'm highly offended. 

Quoting RedRozeMom:

That's not honoring or flattering.....it looks like someone making fun of native tradition and culture...

Quoting MicheleJM:

Quoting Jynnifer292:

eye rolling 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)