Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can a family of four get by on this? Advice about moving to the USA

Posted by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:05 PM
  • 116 Replies

Ok, so my DH might get the opportunity to work in the US, or more precisley in California, Silicon Valley. Since we live in Sweden it's going to be a HUGE step to move overseas, so we're trying to research as much as we can what life in the States would be like.

I'm trying to find out what it would mean for us, economically speaking, if we were to move. My DH would then be the sole provider for our family, and I a SAHM taking care of our 3 yo son and newborn baby. (Baby is due in September, we would probably be moving earliest by November). The annual salary for him would be something in the range of $115-120 000. We've been researching the tax system and everything, trying to figure out the living costs, but it all seems really complicated and my head is spinning from trying to figure everything out wether to move or not. I figure the easiest way to get a better picture of living in the US is to ask someone who actually lives there - hence this post.

So, what do you moms say? Is $115 000 an ok annual salary, and is it enough for a family of four to get by on? What would ypur advixce be to someone moving from Europe/Scandinavia to California? Anything and everything you have to say would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PinkHairMAMA
by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Yes that would be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermarie2006
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Yes that is a pretty good annual salary

MommaLaura
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Ya you would be fine.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
catrig
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Yes.

bannannagirl
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM
2 moms liked this
Bump. It would be here in Colorado but California has a higher price of living so I don't know but here's a bump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.shank.
by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM
4 moms liked this
For that area it is okay.

California has a pretty high cost of living.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Playitagain
by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM
I think you would be fine, but I don't know exactly what the cost of living in that part of california is. The united states cost of living differs greatly by region, state, and even county.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pnukey
by Jennifer on May. 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM
3 moms liked this

Yeah, we used to live in SoCal, as a family of 4, doing just fine on less than that. The advice/warning I would give is that California is a really shitty place to live. We lived there for 30 years and I am very glad we left. If you're only moving there for the money, let me assure you, it is not worth it. Their politics are shit. The people are rude, and there are way to damn many of them. 

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on May. 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I wouldn't know for California, but for here in Eastern WA that's pretty good.

happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM
Yep you will be fine. Just budget your money like you normally would and taxes will be taken out of his paycheck so you won't have to deal with them.monthly!

Also,.remember that you need to build up some.savings which shouldn't be a problem on that salary.

My son and I live off $25k a year. And I am adding a new baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)