Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I'm pretty sure I'm a better mom than you. There - I said it.

Posted by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM
  • 13 Replies
3 moms liked this

I just read a book "Momsense" and this chapter "A Sense of Perspective" totally reminded me of CM and all the 'momma dramas' that go on here in terms of parenting debates, judging, ridiculing, etc.....

Comparing:  Women tend to compare themselves to others and we just need to stop.  I like what Eleanor roosevelt said:  "No one can make you feel insecure without your consent."

Judging:  Psychiatryze - that is a word my twenty-one-year-old niece came up with and posted on Facebook.  She defined it as "prematurely psychologically analyzing and diagnosing individuals."  I totally know what she means.  I know I've judged people prematurely, and others have done the same to me.  We think we've got others figured out and so many times we're just plain wrongConsider others with a nonjudgmental attitude.  We have so much to offer each other.

Busyness:  It's easy to get sucked into the idea that being busy is somehow equated with being important.  And it's easy to think everyone should be just as busy, pulling the same weight as us.  Let's give each other the freedom to determine our own schedules and commitments, and respect that each person's "busyness meter" maxes out at different levels.

Bossiness:  Sometimes people find\ an issue that becomes passionately important to them, such as eating natural food, using cloth diapers, or never letting their daughters play with Barbies.  That is fine for each individual, but it becomes a problem when that person tries to convince everyone else to see things the same way.  Let's work on accepting differences while maintaining our own convictions with a sense of humbleness and grace.

(oh yeah....and, sorry for the hook.....we all know no one opens a post in NC without a little 'challenge' or a 'no she dih-ENT' kind of attention-getter)

by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
12345abcde54321
by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM

i'm totally ok with judging others and thinking that i'm doing better or worse than they are. i still don't understand the problem with that and i don't agree that we all have so much to offer each other.. some people have some to offer others, some do not.

brittonJ
by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Ok. But Roosevelt actually said "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Like the insecure though, lol

one_on_the_way
by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting 12345abcde54321:

i'm totally ok with judging others and thinking that i'm doing better or worse than they are. i still don't understand the problem with that and i don't agree that we all have so much to offer each other.. some people have some to offer others, some do not.

judging a straight up BAD parent?  I'm down with that.

but judging some of the petty, 'individual choices' shit is just dumb and a waste of time.

Yep, that's right.....I'm judging it!  Ha ha ha!

one_on_the_way
by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Quoting brittonJ:

Ok. But Roosevelt actually said "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Like the insecure though, lol

I'm quoting it exactly from the book.  guess the author felt okay with changing some things.  ha ha ha!

ColieO
by I Rock on May. 19, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Lol I got to that and was like "wrong!" and stopped reading. Lol

Quoting brittonJ:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittonJ
by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Wow. That or she wanted to save some money and did the editing herself.

Quoting one_on_the_way:

Quoting brittonJ:

I'm quoting it exactly from the book.  guess the author felt okay with changing some things.  ha ha ha!

12345abcde54321
by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:42 PM

oh, well i don't judge decent parents making choices that differ from my 'way' either. almost every mother i know does things in a way that is a little (or a lot) different from every other mother i know  :)

one_on_the_way
by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I just double-checked....and, yep....the author quoted it as "insecure".  I've heard the quote before, but didn't catch the error (inferior and insecure kind of sound and come across as the same thing).

But, that is funny it wasn't noticed by the author/editors!

Quoting ColieO:

Lol I got to that and was like "wrong!" and stopped reading. Lol

Quoting brittonJ:

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on May. 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm judgemental AND condescending and I love that about me, lol!

one_on_the_way
by on May. 19, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I'm judgemental AND condescending and I love that about me, lol!

I have some wonderful friends who are like that.....but I know that deep down they are really caring, loyal and, often, extremely thoughtful.

I also know that they're judgmental and condescending attitude (some call it 'bitchy', 'bossy', 'harsh') is really just a front to cover up their own insecurities.  But, I bet that isn't you.  Or is it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN