Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Never effing again!!!

Posted by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:29 AM
  • 34 Replies
1 mom liked this
We had a wedding to go to today my friend who said she could watch the kids ended up having something she had to go to and we couldn't find anyone else to watch them. So we decided our 13 year old daugher would watch the kids for a few hours then my friend would grab them all on her way back from her thing. I talked to my 13 year old about keeping an eye on the little kids (my kids are 13, 11, 7, 5, and 4) and not fighting with the 11 year old. When we piled the kids up From my friends my 11 year old tells me the 13 year old didn't do anything and actually went to her room for most of the time. Then my 13 year old thinking she's cute I guess says "I was tired I took a nap" WTF!? I really thought we could trust her more I think from now on she doesn't get I choose to stay home when she doesn't want to
Go with us since I obviously can't trust her. I don't know how she honestly thought I would be ok with that! Hubby was going to give her money for helping out but now I think the 11 year old will get it. She did keep the kids busy but at 11 really doesn't make the best decisions like she decided painting was a good idea while we where gone and now my table needs to be scrubbed I really hope they used the washable paint!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 20, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Aww the 11 yr old did try to help at least.  I would seriously ground the 13 yr old.  Take away alot of their belongings that arent needed.  Downgrade them to being one of the younger children.   That is so not cool to fall asleep when you are the one in charge of your siblings.

EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on May. 20, 2012 at 3:20 AM
2 moms liked this

IMO... Ground the 13 yr old and pay the 11 yr old.

thehickinhickor
by on May. 20, 2012 at 3:23 AM
2 moms liked this

this but not to her room make her sit in the living room and give the 13 the money to pay the 11yr for doing her job

Quoting EyEmTuRtLe:

i
know my grammar is poor and so is my spelling and sometimes my wording
is odd please understand i have severe dyslexia i do run spell check but
it dose not always fine all my mess up when i misuse a word pointing
out my  mess ups is fine with me and i will be more then happy to fix
them however rude comments will not get them fix thank you for
understand:)

kaysha
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2012 at 3:57 AM
Pay the one who did the work. Make it clear to the other that what she did was BS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
juveli
by on May. 20, 2012 at 4:06 AM
Why would you leave a child to care for another child?
CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2012 at 6:41 AM
1 mom liked this
While 13 is old enough to baby sit has she ever baby sat before, taken any classes, been told everything that could go wrong if she isn't careful, does she know what to do in an emergency, cpr, heimlich (sp)?

Some at 13 are ready for the responsibility and some aren't.

Not sure I would ground her, I would explain exactly why I was upset, inform her she wasn't getting paid, and send her to childcare classes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2012 at 11:47 AM
She's 13 you never baby sat at 13? While I don't like the idea of using my oldest as a babysitter it was a few hours because we where in a bind. And I thought she was responsiable I guess not. Lots of people leave ther teen children in charge of younger kids it's not a new concept.

Quoting juveli:

Why would you leave a child to care for another child?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
P.V.Hawkwind
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Quoting EyEmTuRtLe:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Susan262
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Typical 13 year old.

ShannonRoth
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Has your 13 year old ever babysat before? Does she know the expectations? You can't punish her if she wasn't properly trained.

This is a teaching moment. Let her know you were disappointed about how things went and apologize for assuming she was ready. Start working with her on expectations or babysitting class and then leave her with 1 or 2 other kids for a few hours at a time. As her confidence and training develop add in other siblings.

I would also begin this process with 11 year old. She had the initiative to step up, but doesnt know what is acceptable.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN