Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
We had a wedding to go to today my friend who said she could watch the kids ended up having something she had to go to and we couldn't find anyone else to watch them. So we decided our 13 year old daugher would watch the kids for a few hours then my friend would grab them all on her way back from her thing. I talked to my 13 year old about keeping an eye on the little kids (my kids are 13, 11, 7, 5, and 4) and not fighting with the 11 year old. When we piled the kids up From my friends my 11 year old tells me the 13 year old didn't do anything and actually went to her room for most of the time. Then my 13 year old thinking she's cute I guess says "I was tired I took a nap" WTF!? I really thought we could trust her more I think from now on she doesn't get I choose to stay home when she doesn't want to
Go with us since I obviously can't trust her. I don't know how she honestly thought I would be ok with that! Hubby was going to give her money for helping out but now I think the 11 year old will get it. She did keep the kids busy but at 11 really doesn't make the best decisions like she decided painting was a good idea while we where gone and now my table needs to be scrubbed I really hope they used the washable paint!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2012 at 11:56 AM
I don't know what her damn problem was she acted like it wasn't a big deal. I decided today she is not allowed to go to her room she spends most of the day in there and she's not holeing up in her room all day after the stunt she pulled lastnight

Quoting Susan262:

Typical 13 year old.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RLT2
by on May. 20, 2012 at 11:58 AM

bump

Two_Hearts
by on May. 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM

When you left her..did you tell her ' do not spend the time we are gone in your bedroom?" It sounds like she is often in there ...IMO it probably would have been mentionable. 

Is this the first time she has babysat all the kids ?

Quoting LCWAmommy:

I don't know what her damn problem was she acted like it wasn't a big deal. I decided today she is not allowed to go to her room she spends most of the day in there and she's not holeing up in her room all day after the stunt she pulled lastnight

Quoting Susan262:

Typical 13 year old.

LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Yup I did as well as don't sit in front of the tv watching dr who on Netflix and make sure you know where the little ones are at all times.

Quoting Two_Hearts:

When you left her..did you tell her ' do not spend the time we are gone in your bedroom?" It sounds like she is often in there ...IMO it probably would have been mentionable. 

Is this the first time she has babysat all the kids ?

Quoting LCWAmommy:

Quoting Susan262:

Typical 13 year old.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EvaSerenity
by on May. 20, 2012 at 1:52 PM
I've been babysitting since I was 8. I was a very responsible child, the oldest of 4. Never took a class or anything but between my brother and my sisters, I had pretty much handled lots of worst case scenarios. 13 is old enough to be responsible for a few hours. Period.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HouseMa
by on May. 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM

She's thirteen...you left her alone with her four siblings...ALONE for a few hours and you're mad she took a nap?

Stellar Parenting

amyrw
by on May. 20, 2012 at 1:59 PM
I've babysat at a younger age for 2 toddler girls. I had no help and sometimes it was overnight. There is no reason she couldn't have watched her siblings, especially with the help of the 11 year old. I'd give the money to the 11 year old in front of the 13 year old and tell her its bc she was responsible and watched the kids. I would also ground the older one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MizSaydee
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:00 PM

When I was 9 years old, I had common sense to know NOT to take a nap if I was watching my two siblings (both 6 at the time) and actually, I had to do a lot of the 'parenting' because my parent...well...wasn't a parent. At 13 years old...a girl should KNOW not to take a nap when baby sitting children...I look at some 12 (even teenagers..) year olds and look at how childish they are (not saying yours..just in general) and I get pissed...because I wasn't allowed to be childish at that age. That was the age that we started responsibility for things! Pay the 11 year old definitely. 

a 13 year old KNOWS better than to not take a damn nap. Damn kids. lol. 

numonestunar
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM
I babysat during the summers. I had 2 kids I watched for 2 months and I made $90 a wk. Not bad for being 13. Lol but I would make $20 a night on the weekends so I upped my price and made $110 a week the following summer. By the time I was 16 I had saved enough money to buy my first car. :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ma2b08
by on May. 20, 2012 at 2:22 PM
No! Maybe my parents were paranoid, but they didnt allow me to babysit until I was much older.

Quoting LCWAmommy:

She's 13 you never baby sat at 13? While I don't like the idea of using my oldest as a babysitter it was a few hours because we where in a bind. And I thought she was responsiable I guess not. Lots of people leave ther teen children in charge of younger kids it's not a new concept.

Quoting juveli:

Why would you leave a child to care for another child?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)