Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Right now it is 7:35pm.

At 6:00pm I asked 5 y/o DS what he wanted for dinner. I wasn't too hungry so I was just going to let him pick. He said he wasn't hungry. I told him I was going to make a sandwich for myself. I made my sandwich. I said again, "Elijah, do you want a sandwich? This is the last time I am going to ask. What do you want to eat?" He said, "I'm not hungry. I ate earlier." (at 1pm)

So now its bed time. "Elijah its time for bed." he replies, "I'm hungry". I told him I'm sorry, that I asked him over an hour ago, at dinner time, what he wanted to eat & he insisted that he wasn't hungry. He should have eaten when it was dinner time.

Now he is screaming, throwing things in his room, and flipping out. This isn't the first time he's done this. I think he does it in order to stay up. Dad is deployed & I think he is testing me to see how far I'll  let it go.

Question is: Do I feed him? Or send him to bed without dinner because he didn't eat when it was time? He is FIVE.

EDIT: I DID make him stop what he was doing & come sit at the table with me. I thought if he was at least at the table he might want to eat. He stayed at the table until I was done. I Told him that was his last chance to get something to eat. This has been happening every night since Dad deployed last week.

UPDATE: I told him if he was hungry I'd make him a sandwich. He said he isn't hungry for a sandwich, he wants a donut. I told him donuts are NOT for dinner, that he can have a sandwich or he can have nothing.  At the moment, he is choosing nothing so apparently he isn't THAT hungry.

by on May. 20, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Replies (21-30):
angevil53
by on May. 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this

i would not but i don't give in that easy. it's not like he's going hungry bc you don't have food he's going hungry bc he refused to eat at dinner.

rednaxelaym
by on May. 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

i would have saved the sandwich...not thrown it away
TiffanyMarie80
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a strong believer in both empathy and natural consequences- my 5 yr old dd has chosen not to eat dinner a few times, only to whine that she's hungry at bedtime. My response: "I get hungry, and my tummy grumbles at me too when I don't eat dinner. The kitchen is closed now, but I'll make sure to have a big breakfast ready for you in the morning."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lynnd4:

I'm apparently going to be the horrid mom. I wouldn't feed him. I would give milk as pp stated.

I'd give him milk, he'd probably prefer that to food, but he gets cut off at 6 or else he'll pee the bed.

Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Feed your kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on May. 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Supernanny has a method where she makes the kid sit at the table until it was time to get ready for bed. I have considered that before because both of my kids do this. So far, I haven't actually had to do this.

lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on May. 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Quoting Tabitha109:

Feed him. And just quit asking him if he wants dinner or not and tell him to eat it when it's time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM
I disagree with forcing a kid to eat-if they say they aren't hungry or don't like what's offered, I respect that choice. . . I also remind them that making that choice means no food until breakfast.

Quoting jillbailey26:

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Quoting jillbailey26:

Feed him.  Then tomorrow when he tells you he's not hungry, tell him tough crap and to eat now.  Don't let him choose.  *THIS* is the time you eat, end of story.  Then he goes to bed on time with a full belly.

I did make him come to the table, I thought maybe if he saw me eating he'd change his mind. He didn't. I didn't want to make him a sandwich too just to have it wasted. KWIM?

With kids, they like to play.  Often, they'd rather play than eat.  Personally I would have said that he sits until he eats, then he can go play.  If he hurries, he'll have lots of time to play.  If you make it his only option, he'll have no choice, but to eat.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on May. 20, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Quoting alwayskk:

Supernanny has a method where she makes the kid sit at the table until it was time to get ready for bed. I have considered that before because both of my kids do this. So far, I haven't actually had to do this.

I might try this tomorrow if he pulls it again.

I just told him if he is hungry I will make him a sandwich. He started crying & said he wanted a donut. The hell? I NEVER feed him sweets for dinner. I told him no donuts and the water works start again. Then comes the "I just miss my dad!" Which I'm sure he does. But I'm also sure he uses that as a sympathy card to get his way too .

caroberts
by on May. 20, 2012 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Maybe he's having a hard time with his dad being gone....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)