Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

black convicts(fish)

Posted by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:52 PM
  • 21 Replies
We got 2 black convicts yesterday at the pet store & one of them is always hiding by the filter. The other one, I think is more dominant, because it took over the cave we have in the tank & will swim & nudge/chase the other one. Since the other one is hiding, does it mean it is being bullied? Just wondering if I should get another tank.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sherry132
by Sherry on May. 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Give it time. The one that seems to be bullied may be trying to adjust. The rule when I was raising fish to breed was we always left them for one week, unless one fish was injuring the other. If you see injuries, you should probably get another tank and take the dominant fish out to move into the new tank. Don't make any changes to the submissive fish, as too much change can be too much and kill it. 

i_lovedyoufirst
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Can you post a photo? I've never seen those kind of fish (:
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funmommy123
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Got this pic offline.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2012 at 1:05 PM

What size tank is it? 

Convicts are very territorial as they are Cichlids. If they are in a tank that is too small or don't have enough hiding places, the more dominant Cichild will kill any others in the tank. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

i_lovedyoufirst
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Oh wow! Those are gorgeous!

Quoting funmommy123:

Got this pic offline.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funmommy123
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2012 at 1:10 PM
It's a 30 gallon tank. The guy at the pet store said they would be fine together. They were in the same tank at the store with a bunch of other convicts & parrot fish. I believe they are both male.

Quoting mcginnisc:

What size tank is it? 

Convicts are very territorial as they are Cichlids. If they are in a tank that is too small or don't have enough hiding places, the more dominant Cichild will kill any others in the tank. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mama_cullum
by on May. 21, 2012 at 1:12 PM
I don't know anything about them but I did learn not to put two male betas tighter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
funmommy123
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2012 at 1:16 PM
We had a betta a few years ago. We were told that betas can not be in the same tank with any other fish(not even their own kind).

Quoting mama_cullum:

I don't know anything about them but I did learn not to put two male betas tighter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Quoting funmommy123:

It's a 30 gallon tank. The guy at the pet store said they would be fine together. They were in the same tank at the store with a bunch of other convicts & parrot fish. I believe they are both male.

Quoting mcginnisc:

What size tank is it? 

I've kept Cichlids for 20+ years and I would never put them in a tank smaller than 55 gallons. It gives them a lot more freedom and less area to be dominant. If you have 2 males, they are going to fight for dominance- no question...especially as they mature. 

If you are going to keep them in a 30 gallon tank, I would recommend having many rocks and plants in there to break up territory. It is best to break up territory every few weeks so that one Cichlid does not become too agressive over others. 

Claire

Moderator: Healthy Weight Loss & Adoptive Moms

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Join theAdoptive Moms group

Apollos82
by on May. 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM
Could you put another "cave" in the tank?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)