Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

An everyday hero! I am so proud to say I know him!

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:23 AM
  • 10 Replies

M'Burg fire chief rescues 2 toddlers from swimming pool

NICK WALTON
Staff Writer

MECHANICSBURG - Mechanicsburg Fire Chief Andy Anderson and village maintenance worker Bill Callicoat rescued two children from a swimming pool after they were reported missing Monday morning.

Mechanicsburg Police Chief Sam Faulkner said authorities were dispatched on a call from a mother on School Street about two missing 2-year-olds who disappeared after being left on a porch.

Anderson and Callicoat, who were doing work for the street department at the time of the incident, found the male and female toddlers in a backyard pool two houses from their residence.

Faulkner said the female toddler was doggy-paddling in the pool when the two men arrived and the male toddler was unresponsive at the bottom of the pool. Anderson dove into the pool to get the male toddler before starting CPR and reviving the child.

Anderson said adrenaline was going through his mind when he dove into the pool to rescue the child and he is grateful for the first aid training he has.

The children were taken to Mercy Memorial Hospital, Urbana, and were back home as of Monday evening, Faulkner said at Monday's village council meeting. Faulkner said residents need to appreciate what village workers do for the community.

"Andy was on a dead run, he was in that pool in a heartbeat," Faulkner said. "People in the village ought to be thankful that they have a person like Andy Anderson there."

Anderson received a round of applause from the Mechanicsburg Village Council during Monday night's meeting.

"What you guys did today - I know you said it's part of the job and I understand that - but being at the right place at the right time, that's small town America," Mayor Greg Kimball said. "You had to be right near there, made an observation, a few minutes later something happens."

Faulkner said during the council meeting that the incident is under investigation by Mechanicsburg Police and Children's Services and added he is not going to release the names of the children until going through the proper channels.

With the summer season approaching, Faulkner said parents need to be attentive of children and have to understand a lot can happen if children are left unattended.

"If you don't learn from history, you're doomed to repeat it," Faulkner said. "This happens every single year - you know when it gets warm you got pools that are attractive nuisances. You've got to be vigilant."

Anderson added if residents have pools with ladders they should move ladders out of the reach of small children.

Nick Walton can be reached at nwalton@urbanacitizen.com

by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
phantomphan
by PrincessBcake on May. 22, 2012 at 8:34 AM
And now let's rip the mom to shreds without knowing the whole story.

Cynical? Me? Nooooooo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momdoes
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Quoting phantomphan:

Cynical? Me? Nooooooo

God, I hope not. I can attest that in this town, if children are being abused, it is known and dealt with promptly. This was an accident that could have ended tradgically but thanks to Andy, she still has her babies!!!!

PinkyPan
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

A hero indeed.clapping

Juanita679
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM
bump

phantomphan
by PrincessBcake on May. 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM
I agree. And did the owners of the pool not have a fence?

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting phantomphan:

Cynical? Me? Nooooooo

God, I hope not. I can attest that in this town, if children are being abused, it is known and dealt with promptly. This was an accident that could have ended tradgically but thanks to Andy, she still has her babies!!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momdoes
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2012 at 8:39 AM

That I dont know but if they didnt, they will soon, Im sure!

Quoting phantomphan:

I agree. And did the owners of the pool not have a fence?

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting phantomphan:

Cynical? Me? Nooooooo

lovin_life85
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Glad Andy was able to save those baby! Glad this was not another tragedy.

Aislinn

Way to go Chief Andy!

LCG83
Thank God for men like him. There's an alarming number of people that would have looked the other way. He is a true hero!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alreadydidthis
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Accidents happend glad they are safe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)