Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Any Doctors/Nurses? MEDICAL/TTC QUESTION!

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM
  • 9 Replies

Good Morning Ladies =)

So, a friend of mine (no really, this is about a friend of mine) has been TTC with her husband for about a year. They have actually been having unprotected sex for quite some time and she has NEVER gotten pregnant but a year ago they decided to actually 'try' for a baby. 

I recently suggested maybe she see a Dr and she did- they have discovered "many dark spots & lumps on the cervix" and she is going back in for a colposcopy & biopsy to find out more. 

I don't even know what this means! I'm trying to look this up and see what this could possibly mean- but I really do not know! Anyone have any information about this? 

I'm NOT being mean and I don't know if this matters: my friend is severely over weight. I swear I'm NOT being mean but she is. I have worried about her weight for some time and actually thought to myself when she went to the Dr they would mention her losing weight before helping her get pregnant. (I don't know how much she weighs... she is probably 5'4-5'5 and... 250lbs? 275 maybe? I really do not know!) Could this have anything to do with the spots?

I'm really just hurting for my friend and want to find out as much as I can before we are blown away with bad news. Really appreciate any information on this!

Thanks! 

by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
momdoes
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I am no expert nor a doctor and not even anurse yet, but it could be displasia on her cervix. (from gentital warts?) And her weight most def could be preventing her from concieving. Her doctor will tell her more Im sure.

JADIEBUG
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Those dark spots can be anything from endometriosis to cancer. It could be related to her weight or it might not....Being obese/overweight does increase your risks for certain diseases such as cancer.

JADIEBUG
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM

My bet is on the unfavorable cervix being the cause of her not being able to conceive.

Quoting momdoes:

I am no expert nor a doctor and not even anurse yet, but it could be displasia on her cervix. (from gentital warts?) And her weight most def could be preventing her from concieving. Her doctor will tell her more Im sure.

Mrs_Szontagh
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:28 AM

she has never mentioned any herpes- doesn't mean she doesn't have them!!! but we are pretty close & she hasn't ever mentioned it. thanks for the advice, i'm just trying to find out anything i can so we aren't shocked with horrible news ya know? i hope it's nothing and she can get her weight down... she would be such a good mommy!!! breaks my heart to see her go thru this. thanks again! 

Quoting momdoes:

Mrs_Szontagh
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:29 AM

the C word is my biggest fear- that's what i need to prepare myself for so i can be as supportive as necessary FOR HER! 

i don't know if it has anything to do with her weight ya know? i just wanted to make sure i mentioned it... sadly, i think it's a bigger factor than she thinks ya know? but how do i as her friend say that she should lose some weight? =/ i can't! i don't want to hurt her feelings!!!! 

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Those dark spots can be anything from endometriosis to cancer. It could be related to her weight or it might not....Being obese/overweight does increase your risks for certain disease such as cancer.

mackQuin
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:37 AM

does she get regular paps?

She should lose weight anyway..if you are overweight its always recommended to lose weight when trying to conceive, not only does being overweight make conceiving harder, it can put a strain on the pregnancy..

good luck to your friend though.

Mrs_Szontagh
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM

she did just get one, but no not regularly. i've tried subtly mentioning it but there's no easy way to say that to a FRIEND. when she told me they were officially TTC i was really worried about her body handling a pregnancy... but again, what can i say =/ 

Quoting mackQuin:

does she get regular paps?

She should lose weight anyway..if you are overweight its always recommended to lose weight when trying to conceive, not only does being overweight make conceiving harder, it can put a strain on the pregnancy..

good luck to your friend though.

staciababy
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM
Genital warts and herpes are very different. Warts and herpes primarily stay on the outside, however it is not out of the question fo it to be internal. It's going to be next to impossible to tell what it is until the results from testing come back. Just be supportive and don't mention her weight unless she does, she knows it can affect her ability to get pregnant it's good that she has such a supportive friend.

Quoting Mrs_Szontagh:

she has never mentioned any herpes- doesn't mean she doesn't have them!!! but we are pretty close & she hasn't ever mentioned it. thanks for the advice, i'm just trying to find out anything i can so we aren't shocked with horrible news ya know? i hope it's nothing and she can get her weight down... she would be such a good mommy!!! breaks my heart to see her go thru this. thanks again! 

Quoting momdoes:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Szontagh
by on May. 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Oh wow! Apparently I need to brush up on my STD's! I've only been with my husband so I **hope** I don't have anything to worry about ;-) But this girl has been with a hand full of guys & no telling who they've been with, ya know? Thanks for the advice-- really appreciate it!!! 

Quoting staciababy:

Genital warts and herpes are very different. Warts and herpes primarily stay on the outside, however it is not out of the question fo it to be internal. It's going to be next to impossible to tell what it is until the results from testing come back. Just be supportive and don't mention her weight unless she does, she knows it can affect her ability to get pregnant it's good that she has such a supportive friend.

Quoting Mrs_Szontagh:

Quoting momdoes:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)