Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Exposure to rabies?

Posted by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM
  • 7 Replies
Dh works with his dad as a chimney sweep. His dad was but by a bat. They are on their way to the hospital so his dad can have a rabies shot and to take the bat to animal control so they can test it. My question is, if the bat does have rabies and FIL is getting the shot, should we avoid contact with him for a little while? Can a person exposed to it unintentionally infect others? I don't think that is the case but I just thought I'd ask.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
sahmomof2
by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Nothing to worry about. It's not spread through casual contact or through the air. No need for isolation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Thats what I figured, I'm just feeling a bit paranoid since we have a 4 month old in the house :)

Quoting sahmomof2:

Nothing to worry about. It's not spread through casual contact or through the air. No need for isolation.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaraRichelle
by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Dont let him bite you :P

Jk hope he is alrite, that's scary!

Bigmetalchicken
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2012 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

If he was exposed, he is safe unless he bites you, or swaps body fluid with you.  Rabies is a very weak virus, and does not live long outside of the body.
It is good that he was able to keep the bat, because that will prevent him from getting the whole series of shots.   But with that line of work, it may be more cost effective for them to get the rabies vaccine, as it is only three shots, and is MUCH cheaper than the post bite series of shots.

I used to work on possible rabies cases when I was still working. 

JADIEBUG
by on May. 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Also less painful.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

If he was exposed, he is safe unless he bites you, or swaps body fluid with you.  Rabies is a very weak virus, and does not live long outside of the body.
It is good that he was able to keep the bat, because that will prevent him from getting the whole series of shots.   But with that line of work, it may be more cost effective for them to get the rabies vaccine, as it is only three shots, and is MUCH cheaper than the post bite series of shots.

Bigmetalchicken
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Very true.  

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Also less painful.

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on May. 22, 2012 at 11:45 AM
It drives me nuts because they work without gloves and safety glasses, oh and without masks!! I keep telling dh that he needs to wear protective gear but he won't because "dads been doing it for years and doesn't wear it" or "it just gets in the way".

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)