Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

This Boy Would Have Lived If His Mom Had Used The Right Carseat

The article says the boy was 3 years old and in a booster seat. It says he undid the seatbelt so he was either in a backless booster or a high back booster.

He died as a result of this mom's ignorance. My son is 3 and still in a harness. He will be able to be harnessed at least for another year or more.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OH_CHILD_FALLS_FROM_CAR_OHOL-?SITE=OHFIN&SECTION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

3-year-old Ohio boy dies after falling from car

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- Authorities say a 3-year-old boy died when he pushed a handle and tumbled out the back door of a car and then fell under its back wheels while his mother was driving.

Deputy Steve Fickenworth of the Franklin County Sheriff's Office says the 23-year-old Columbus woman was turning at an intersection when the accident occurred in Hamilton Township on Monday evening. Fickenworth says 3-year-old Logan McClaskey died at the scene.

The deputy says the child had been buckled into a booster seat behind the driver's seat. He said the boy unbuckled the seat belt and pushed the door handle, and the door opened as the car made a right turn.

Fickenworth said the four-door sedan had child locks that weren't being used at the time.

by on May. 22, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
tifferie
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM
My son will be 5 this week and he is still in a 5 pt. harness carseat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kfroz0415
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM

At 3 my son could unbuckle his 5pt harness. He didn't because he caught hell from me the one time he did it with the car moving... lol He is 5 now and in a booster, but the child safety lock is on his door and window. He also knows that while the car is moving he is sitting up and back with his hands off the belt. 

Such a tragedy, but I think it may have been caused by forgetting to set the child locks and less because of the car seat choice. Although at 3 he shouldn't have been in a booster of any kind... 

sheramom4
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2012 at 8:05 PM

My middle DD could get out of her harness as well so I was always thankful for child safety locks. I wanted to duct tape her to the carseat at times....I love her, but her toddler and preschool years about killed us both. We spent a lot of time pulling over. Looking at the newer carseats I think she would have had a harder time, but she is 10 1/2 now. Our rule is that the child safety locks are always on in our car, even if it's just adults.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2012 at 8:06 PM
Quoting EsmeVincent:

My 4yr old is still in a 5pt harness and will stay in it until he grows out of the limits and into the booster limits. And ds is a big boy, he's 50lbs and 44in. Some people are too quick in trying to make their kids grow up. She was breaking the law by putting a 3yr old in a booster...that poor boy died because of her stupidity

If he was 40 lbs and up, she wasn't breaking the law in Ohio, actually. That said, it's still horrible and she definitely should have been using the child locks. My ds will be 4 in July and is 44" and 44 lbs and in a hbb because his torso is 20.5" so he doesn't fit in any carseats that are sold including the Frontier 85.
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on May. 22, 2012 at 8:06 PM

My boys know how to undo the child safety locks...and are sneaky little boogers. We pulled up in the parking lot and (thankfully we keep the doors locked while driving) they've opened the doors right up. 

Quoting CeeGee81:

omg :(

He also would have lived in the child lock on the back door would have been on.

So sad.

BethanyJ
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:06 PM

That's terrible! My friend has a son who is three, and uses a booster seat, despite this being illegal in my state.  I've told her about the law and provided her proof but she either doesn't care or doesn't believe me.  She's not the best disciplinarian and her son is very prone to act out without consequence, especially in the car.  He opens windows and doors (if the child safety locks are off) and I can totally see him unbuckling himself.  I really, really hope that situation doesn't turn tragic for her one day, as it did for this mom.  

AFWifeNMom
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:07 PM
It is against the law in my state for any child under age 4 to not be harnessed!

Quoting mjande4:

It's a tragedy, but she wasn't breaking ANY laws and frankly the child locks would be the key in this situation. 

Quoting EsmeVincent:

My 4yr old is still in a 5pt harness and will stay in it until he grows out of the limits and into the booster limits. And ds is a big boy, he's 50lbs and 44in. Some people are too quick in trying to make their kids grow up. She was breaking the law by putting a 3yr old in a booster...that poor boy died because of her stupidity

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iliketosparkle
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:07 PM
It's legal in some states to have a 3 year old in a booster, so she wasn't necessarily breaking the law.

If the child locks on the doors had been activated, this tragedy could have been avoided. Yeah, a booster probably wasn't the best choice for a 3 year old, but some kids can Houdini out of their 5 pt harnesses too.

Quoting EsmeVincent:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skyelyns_mommie
by on May. 22, 2012 at 8:08 PM

holy shit this happen close to me!!! yea my daughter is almost 3 and her butt is staying in her car seat for a few more years

1. survivor of domestic violence ( 01-06-2010) and child abuse. 

theres always a light at the end of the tunnel, we just have to find it :)

❒ Taken
❒ Single

✔ Mentally dating an anime character ( death the kid :) )

say what you mean, and mean what you say become those that mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

sfkdny
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2012 at 8:09 PM
2 moms liked this

so sad...we can sit here in judgment all day but all that really matters is another sweet baby has become an angel....RIP

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)