Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Aside from sleepy time meds...

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:38 AM
  • 19 Replies

what do you do to get your child to sleep?!

DS (age 5) has been staying up so late. I work an early morning shift & we get up at 0530. Its 1035 & he is STILL awake. No naps. He took a shower at 7, brushed his teeth & went to his room. He's just been talking to himself, doing whatever he can to keep himself awake.

He used to go to bed at 8 or 8:30 but he has been trying to push his luck since Dad deployed last week. His psychiatrist thinks he should go to bed at 7 & be asleep by 7:30 to get enough rest, but its like the earlier I try to get him in bed, the more he fights it.

In the mornings I have a severely cranky child. Help?!

by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Punkslilncs
by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:41 AM

I know someone who does melatonin? It is supposed to be some kinda natural sleep hormone?? I really cringe at the thought of this. My son goes to bed at 8:15 he falls asleep after 2-3 stories and me singing to him. We have a set routine and if I stick to it there is no issue. It is nights like tonight when the plumber was here till 10:09 and my son wanted to be up and watch and he couldn't wind down cause he got over tired there is an issue.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Quoting Punkslilncs:

I know someone who does melatonin? It is supposed to be some kinda natural sleep hormone?? I really cringe at the thought of this. My son goes to bed at 8:15 he falls asleep after 2-3 stories and me singing to him. We have a set routine and if I stick to it there is no issue. It is nights like tonight when the plumber was here till 10:09 and my son wanted to be up and watch and he couldn't wind down cause he got over tired there is an issue.

Your body produces melatonin. The more melatonin you take, your body starts relying on YOU to take it & will stop producing it, therefore, causing dependancy. Found that out the hard way. Now I cannot sleep without 10 mg of Melatonin. I dont want that for my five year old. KWIM?

katie2007709
by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:47 AM
My 4 year old has been taking melatonin since she was 3 and hasnt had nearly the trouble sleeping she did before
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelize
by on May. 23, 2012 at 1:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I currently have the same problem... I just make sure she is physically in her bed by 8pm... As long as she doesn't get up and play I am ok with her being awake... I would rather do it that way than to fight her on it... He is probably just getting used to the big changes going on... My daughter did this when my husband went to Basic Training and also when he went to AIT Training... Now he had to go stateside for a death in the family and we are going through it again... Kids worry just as much as adults do, but they show it in a different way... ex... acting out, not sleeping, over sleeping ect... Just make sure to limit his sugar/caffeine intake, his TV time and maybe try reading him a book when you go and put him in bed... My daughter loves stories before bed and I use that as a reward... If she stayed in her bed the night before than she gets a story, if she got up or fought me on going to bed than she doesn't... Good luck!!!

Want to save 20% on all of your Passion needs this month? Come see what all the buzz is about!!! Enter "MAYLOVE" at checkout and recieve 20% off!!!

https://angelamalleis.yourpassionconsultant.com/

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2012 at 1:52 AM
Our pediatrician strongly suggested not to give melatonin so I dont want to take that route.

Quoting katie2007709:

My 4 year old has been taking melatonin since she was 3 and hasnt had nearly the trouble sleeping she did before
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Punkslilncs
by on May. 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM

SEE!!! I knew there was something sketchy about it!!! I wonder if she knows this and is just doing it cause it is easier for her! Honestly when she started talking about it I was like isn't that just like giving your kid benedryl? They say benedryl can't hurt you blah blah but to me red flags.. it sounds borderline abuse.. I am gonna check into this further with her.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Quoting Punkslilncs:

Your body produces melatonin. The more melatonin you take, your body starts relying on YOU to take it & will stop producing it, therefore, causing dependancy. Found that out the hard way. Now I cannot sleep without 10 mg of Melatonin. I dont want that for my five year old. KWIM?

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on May. 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM

It def. isn't considered abuse unless you abuse it by giving it to them in too high doses or give it to them ALL the time. KWIM? It's "safe" to use & some doctors recomend it, I just dont want to go down that road yet if it can be avoided.

Quoting Punkslilncs:

SEE!!! I knew there was something sketchy about it!!! I wonder if she knows this and is just doing it cause it is easier for her! Honestly when she started talking about it I was like isn't that just like giving your kid benedryl? They say benedryl can't hurt you blah blah but to me red flags.. it sounds borderline abuse.. I am gonna check into this further with her.

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Quoting Punkslilncs:

moneysaver6
by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM
A lot of people don't know about the dependency issue with melatonin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fmama2
by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:55 PM
My 5yr old has sleep apnea, rls,and sleep insomnia.
Her sleep Dr and pedi. Both recommended melatonin before her sleep study showed this and it works great. She takes3mg 20min. Before bed and out soon as she lays sown rather than laying there for hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gum.drop
by on May. 23, 2012 at 4:56 PM
He should nap... And no tv or games after 6 .... In bed (dark as he can have it ) at 730. And just make him stay in his bed. If he gets out of his bed he's in trouble.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN