Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Hatfields and McCoys, are you related?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am pretty sure I am related. My great grandmothers name is in several of the family trees I have found online. She was a Hatfield. They were from the area I am from and my great grandmother was born. Can't wait to watch the History Channel show about them Memorial Day. 

by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Replies (21-30):
stephy_85
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM
This is so random but my great uncle is from Pikeville. I had a weird dream last night that I was going with him and his wife to Pikeville. The weird part about the dream (other than seeing this post today) was that I haven't seen him or my aunt in almost a year and have never gone to Pikeville.

Quoting lovinmama411:

Oh yes, of course. It probably wouldn't be AS interesting, lol. My husband was working in Pikeville for a while and at that time (this was several years ago) I didn't realize that was where alot of the history actually was. My moms side of the family is from Ewing VA and all around Lee County. Then my dads family is all from Perry, Harlan, and Pike county. Didn't realize how much history of this was in all these areas. Pretty neat. 

Quoting superm0m877:

I just watched the trailer for that..ehh..it looks entertaining but I can already tell it's not going to be the accurate story. Just as the movie that came out in the 1940's was not exactly right. They add/change things to make it more interesting. Being closely related, I know the true story and there is a lot of false info out there, stories change over time you know?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superm0m877
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Yes, the pig is true. Althought there were problems between the 2 families before that, the pig was pretty much the last straw. Then there is the whole love affair between Rosanna McCoy and Johnse Hatfield. 

Quoting lovinmama411:

Some say it started over a pig being stolen but idk if that is true. The main subject of the feud was land disputes, but it snowballed into killings and things got pretty bad. 

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

Ok, thanks! Why are they so bitter? I know that they have a feud. What started it?

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

When does the movie air and what exactly is it about?

It comes on History channel over 3 nights this weekend. It is about the bitter feud between the Hatfield and McCoy families.

christi34
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this
This is a great piece of history that everyone should know or do know. I am looking forward to watching this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
superm0m877

I know they have reunions every so often. They actually have a Kentucky reunion thing here in Michigan every year nearby, and a lot of Hatfields and McCoys show up. My grandma used to go to them. 

Quoting lovinmama411:

Yes, these are the Hatfields. If I knew who each one was I may be able to figure out how I am related to them. I am sure some of these are my ancestors though. So you're a McCoy? Did you hear about the reunion they had in Pikeville several years back?

Quoting superm0m877:

That's the Hatfields. My Grandma has actual pictures of the McCoys, it is really interesting to look at! 

Quoting lovinmama411:

Here is a pic

superm0m877

Then we are related! :) 

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

I'm related to the McCoys through my mom.

MilfShake26
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Probably not but idk.. I'm excited for the movie though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmama411
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Something like 2,000 relatives showed up to the Pikeville reunion! They had to prove through birth/death certificates their relationship before being allowed in. They did different games, Hatfield vs McCoy things, lol. Kinda neat. Google it and look at the pics of the reunion, you can see some of your long lost relatives!

Quoting superm0m877:

I know they have reunions every so often. They actually have a Kentucky reunion thing here in Michigan every year nearby, and a lot of Hatfields and McCoys show up. My grandma used to go to them. 

Quoting lovinmama411:

Yes, these are the Hatfields. If I knew who each one was I may be able to figure out how I am related to them. I am sure some of these are my ancestors though. So you're a McCoy? Did you hear about the reunion they had in Pikeville several years back?

Quoting superm0m877:

That's the Hatfields. My Grandma has actual pictures of the McCoys, it is really interesting to look at! 

Quoting lovinmama411:

Here is a pic

superm0m877
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Do you see the guy towards the bottom left with the long beard? That is "Devil Anse" Hatfield. That's the only one I recognize. My grandma would know who some of the others are. 

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting superm0m877:

Quoting lovinmama411:

Here is a pic

Ashley_Carlson
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Got any Mobley's in your family? That's my mom's maiden name.

Quoting superm0m877:

Then we are related! :) 

Quoting Ashley_Carlson:

I'm related to the McCoys through my mom.

mamaslove4ever
by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:58 AM
According 2 the family tree line i found, yes i am my last name just got scwed threw history from hat to had
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)