Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Hatfields and McCoys, are you related?

Posted by   + Show Post

I am pretty sure I am related. My great grandmothers name is in several of the family trees I have found online. She was a Hatfield. They were from the area I am from and my great grandmother was born. Can't wait to watch the History Channel show about them Memorial Day. 

by on May. 23, 2012 at 11:26 AM
Replies (51-60):
lovinmama411
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Not all of them. There were alot of Hatfields in KY and vice versa. And the intermarrying didn't make things any better.

Quoting DSamuels:

I watched the movie and I've done some reading. I'm trying to figure out how land disputes would figure into it, they lived in different states. The Hatfields lived in WV and the McCoys lived in KY. A river separates the two states.

Quoting lovinmama411:

Some say it started over a pig being stolen but idk if that is true. The main subject of the feud was land disputes, but it snowballed into killings and things got pretty bad. 

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

Ok, thanks! Why are they so bitter? I know that they have a feud. What started it?

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

When does the movie air and what exactly is it about?

It comes on History channel over 3 nights this weekend. It is about the bitter feud between the Hatfield and McCoy families.

Sanctimommy
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this

My second Granddaughter is the Spawn of a McCoy. 

LucyHarper
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM

A member of the hatfields was in the homeguard, a confederate group meant to guard the southern towns during the war, so toward the end of the war he murdered a member of the mccoys for being in the union. Their town was divided between west virgina and kentucky, so they were confederate to the south and union to the north. After that there was a lot of hard feelings between the families until the mccoys believed that the hatfields stole one of their pigs, after that one family member would kill another, so the other family would kill one of their members as revenge, and it just went back and forth, so bad that the government had to get involved.

Quoting LectioDivina:

Why did they hate each other so much?

LucyHarper
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

There was some talk when I was a kid that my family are decendents of mccoys, but we dont have any names or charts, just talk. 

MeMeMe111
by Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Hatfield here. We stole the pig. lol I better watch the show to make sure. I have been saying that my hole life though. That is what I was told anyway. ha ha

Ladyteancum
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:39 AM

I havent seen any of those names on our family trees. We have some that go way way back.

Shay9311
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:42 AM
I'm related to the Mccoys!! My great great grandma was a McCoy! And I loved that movie!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shay9311
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:45 AM
The main reason it started was over hatfield killing a McCoy then deserting the military. Things just escalated from there.

Quoting lovinmama411:

Not all of them. There were alot of Hatfields in KY and vice versa. And the intermarrying didn't make things any better.

Quoting DSamuels:

I watched the movie and I've done some reading. I'm trying to figure out how land disputes would figure into it, they lived in different states. The Hatfields lived in WV and the McCoys lived in KY. A river separates the two states.

Quoting lovinmama411:

Some say it started over a pig being stolen but idk if that is true. The main subject of the feud was land disputes, but it snowballed into killings and things got pretty bad. 

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

Ok, thanks! Why are they so bitter? I know that they have a feud. What started it?

Quoting lovinmama411:

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

When does the movie air and what exactly is it about?

It comes on History channel over 3 nights this weekend. It is about the bitter feud between the Hatfield and McCoy families.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyPondOasis
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Back in those days of course, they were raising their own food on their land and of course a pig being dinner -- taking some ones dinner and one to be able to help produce more pigs they did not take too kindly to that of course.

I am not related to any of them as far as I know, just Martha Washington, Robert E Lee, Jimmy Carter ( ex Prez ) via marriages. Over 70 million people around the world are related to royalty ( me -- related to Anne Boleyn ) 

Good thing they had a recent reunion. The past is just that and its so true how stories get twisted around. As they say documentation is the best proof -- like the saying -- get it in writing! LOL 

LilyPondOasis
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I wonder this :  being they said they stole the pig, maybe it got out and ran off ?? Unless the pen was very secure and no other pig ran off. 

Sad story about the revenge actually. Which ever Hatfield stole the pig should have given The McCoys one of theirs to make peace. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN