Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Man sues ex-fiancée after she breaks off engagement WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Posted by   + Show Post

After his ex-fiancée jilted him before they reached the altar, a Manhattan man made his own vow: I sue

Consulting firm executive Steven Silverstein, 29, filed a lawsuit in Manhattan Supreme Court Tuesday seeking a court ruling to make former fiancée Kendra Platt-Lee pay him back for costs related to their planned wedding and her portion of the rent from two apartments the couple shared over the course of their relationship.

Video: Bride of jilted groom: I don’t owe him money (on this page)

“I don’t think that I owe him any money at all,’’ Platt-Lee told NBC News from her home in San Diego. “I’m just your normal girl who fell out of love with somebody, and I didn’t feel it was right in my heart. I just didn’t feel I wanted to get married anymore so I broke it off. I just wanted to break up with somebody and move on, and it turned out that he just wants to drag this out.’’

Silverstein and his attorney declined any comment beyond the lawsuit.

Story: Left at the altar, he traveled the world

Platt-Lee broke off the engagement over the phone in April, and returned a $32,000 ring given to her by Silverstein on May 10, according to court documents. However, Silverstein is looking to recover his ex's share of the cost of the now-scrapped wedding for 150 guests on Sept. 22 at the Allegria Hotel in Long Beach, N.Y. In addition to the hotel rental, the fees also include a DJ, a wedding photographer, a videographer and furniture rental totaling $25,668.

“I can understand why he’s emotional about it,’’ Platt-Lee said. “We started planning a wedding, and it was really over the top. It was nothing that I wanted, nothing that I could ever afford by myself. If it were up to me I would just want a small little wedding, that’s all. It’s just too much for me.’’

On April, 13, Platt-Lee, who currently lives in San Diego and works in marketing, had left Manhattan for California for what was supposed to be “a one week visit,’’ but never came back. She broke up with Silverstein over the phone 10 days later, according to the court documents.

“I just don’t picture myself in New York,’’ she said. “I’m a California girl.”

Silverstein claims that on April 23, immediately after ending the relationship, Platt-Lee withdrew $54,367.87 from the couple’s joint account. Silverstein maintains that $19,269.90 of that money is his, and he wants it back.

“I’m definitely not a gold-digger,’’ she said. “I’ve worked hard for everything I’ve ever owned. I’m just your average American girl who’s college-educated. I did work at Hooters in college to pay my way through school. I was a flight attendant, and I’ve had some great jobs after that.’’

Silverstein also claims that Platt-Lee owes him $8,433.75 for her half of the rent for the six months they lived together in an Upper East Side apartment during their first engagement in 2009.

After the two broke up in February 2010, they rekindled in May 2011 and got engaged again a month later, according to the lawsuit. Again, Silverstein claims he picked up the tab for their apartment, and now wants $17,235 back for the rent he paid over nine months for the second apartment.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/47540442/ns/today-today_news/#.T74aUNVq2TN

So what do you think, does she owe him the money?

I think she owes him something.  I get she gave the ring back but what I don't understand is why a woman or women think that just bc they break up w/someone they can just leave them to foot the bill for absolultely everything they as a couple already paid for.

So I definitely think she owes him something.

by on May. 24, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Replies (41-50):
SnapIt
by Movin' on up on May. 24, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Unless you have no class and he didn't smack her around that she had to run for the hills to protect herself, the right thing to do is to give it back. And courts are now making women give back the ring if they were the ones to break off the engagement.

She broke it off, she should give it back. To me someone who doesn't give a ring back after breaking off the engagement, is selfish and greedy. It shows true character. And it also makes you wonder if material things as well as money, is what she was after all along from this guy and not really him for love. He probably spent money on her and she kept taking, but then had to think once she is married to him it would be harder to walk away.  For all we know she could've led him on to get something out of him. And she did. What do you call that? Oh yeah, a materialistic hoe. She emptied the bank acct as well, was she entitled to all of that? No . She made an easy buck or more out of this guy. I do hope he gets the ring back and everything else. now she is living in Cali and he is stuck with bills. nice

Quoting thorntonwife:

I watched on the news and it said she didn't have to give the ring back because it was a gift to her.

Quoting SnapIt:

That's separate property. You can't include the price of the ring to make up for the difference she owes him.

She broke it off, so that ring was ALSO rightfully his to get back. 

Quoting thorntonwife:

She gave the ring back which is worth more then the wedding costs.

cdi
by on May. 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM
she owes him the money period. What she did was wrong
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I think it is funny how she says "I'm not a gold digger" yet she took over $50,000 from the "joint" account.  Sheesh, how does she not realize how that makes her look?

And did she honestly think he wouldn't want his money back?

She gives women a bad reputation for sure!

And what is the point of her bringing up that she worked at Hooters?  I fail to see her point in bringing that up.  She worked hard to go through college, ok so do thousands of other people.  Doesn't mean one isn't a gold digger.

He is out A LOT bc of this woman, she knew he would be and didn't care.  Sure looks like a gold digger to me.

Greed & money seems to be all this country is about anymore:(

Quoting SnapIt:

I know! I have heard of them keeping the ring and moving on when they were the one who wanted out. The ring is a gift true, but if the person who recieved it breaks off the engagement they should really give it back. If you don't want to conitnue that relationship why have the best of both worlds in moving on and getting to keep the ring? Not right at all. Unless the person who gave it tells them to keep it. Im glad the courts ruling makes them give it back.

I don't get it either in the thinking if you give back the ring it covers the cost for the other stuff. He is still out the cost of the money owed on the "apts" and "half his bank acct" she pretty much stole. and if he pays for the wedding bills owed or parts already paid, with the money he gets from the ring (which we knwo he wont get full value) he is now short changed from the cost of the ring. lol Either way he loses.

Greed, selfishness is what i say is why people can walk away from responsibilties

Quoting CABZS:
Some people view the ring as a gift & don't think the ring should be given back.

Thankfully I believe there have been court cases where that is not the case & the ring was to be given back. 

And I'm not getting why people think he can just sell the ring & pay for the wedding.  He does that he still has a ring he has to pay for.  Plus the wedding wasn't just his.  Trying to figure out why some think it is ok to just stick the man w/everything.

Quoting SnapIt:
That's separate property. You can't include the price in the ring to make up for the difference she owes him.

She broke it off, so that ring was ALSO rightfully his to get back. 

Quoting thorntonwife:
She gave the ring back which is worth more then the wedding costs.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2012 at 3:47 PM
I think she owes him something. If she cleaned out their account, she should give him half back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2012 at 3:49 PM
She owes him everything he is asking for. What a gold digging cuntasaurus Rex.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Carin on May. 24, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Honestly, I think it's shitty to jilt someone at the altar and if they put a lot of money into it, yeah, she owes him.

Mrs.Winchester
by on May. 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Yes I do think she owes him for half of the wedding costs and also the money she took from the account if he can prove that it was his earned money.  I also think what she did was despicable and she does seem like a gold digger.

morrigan914
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2012 at 4:34 PM
I don't think she owes him rent, but she should have to pay for half of the money he's out for the wedding.

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2012 at 4:37 PM
I think she owes half for everything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GreenBurrito
by on May. 24, 2012 at 4:39 PM
I think he just sounds like a money hungry turd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)