Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

He's about to get some formula.

Posted by on May. 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM
  • 87 Replies
I am a total breast feeding advocate BUT my 3 week old eats literally every hour for 30+ minutes. I am CONSTANTLY breast feeding. I cant clean, cook, shower, sleep etc. lots of people have told me to try cereal but I think he's too young. Can I supplement him with formula to keep him full?

Help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilbit53009
by on May. 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM
4 moms liked this

yes you can and there's nothing wrong with it if you need to do it.

but it's all up to you on what works best for your lifestyle and family.

congrats on the baby! :)

JessicaEOH
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree, don't do cereal!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2012 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe try to pump a little first to get rid of the thin fore milk so he gets the thicker hind milk only!
Are you nursing him one breast at a time? Or nursing off both in one feeding? If you are doing both that may be the issue. He is just getting the fire milk that way instead of the filling hind milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
singlemom1208
by on May. 25, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Do what you need to do mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM
6 moms liked this
He also may just be going through a growth spurt. I would stick it out. Supplementing you run the risk of messing up your supply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UxorQuodMatris.
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM
8 moms liked this
That's very, very normal for a newborn. Try wearing him and nursing him that way. It won't last forever, I promise!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaybean
by Kayleen on May. 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM
5 moms liked this
I disagree with both cereal and formula. I personally think this early on, you need to be fully commited to bf. Babies at that age nurse a lot. It's just part of the deal. It won't be like this forever. Formula is hard on their system.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatieGirls2
by on May. 25, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Id try this but don't feel bad if you need to give him formula, and yeah no cereal that young ....

Quoting MIA0223:

Maybe try to pump a little first to get rid of the thin fore milk so he gets the thicker hind milk only!

Are you nursing him one breast at a time? Or nursing off both in one feeding? If you are doing both that may be the issue. He is just getting the fire milk that way instead of the filling hind milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on May. 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM
6 moms liked this

Yes, you can. But, you run the high risk of compromising your supply. It sounds like he is cluster feeding, which only lasts a day or two. They do that during a growth spurt to up your supply. Usually, it happens on the even weeks the first two months and then at four months and again at six months. If you give a bottle, then your body won't get the memo the supply needs to be upped and therein lies the danger- what will happen when LO is hungry and the supply is only where it was when you supplemented? It becomes a vicious cycle. IF you DO supplement, I strongly recommend you use a supplemental nursing system. It has a tube that you tape to your boob and baby latches to you, so you get that stimulation that will help keep your supply going. Also, the only accurate way to know he is getting enough is diaper count. He is getting enough if he producing 5-8 diapers a day (poop counts as two!). I hope this helps! You are doing great, Momma! Hang in there! Honestly, after six weeks, it really does become much, much easier!

http://www.amazon.com/Medela-00901S-Supplemental-Nursing-System/dp/B000NEDGB8

Also, per AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) and the WHO (World Health Organization) and the CDC (Centers for Disease Control), babies under six months only need breast milk or formula. They have an open gut and anything that bacteria that goes into their stomach goes directly into their blood stream- which can be very dangerous. A baby getting cereal or juice or other solids before six months has a higher chance of being obese, diabetic or having food allergies later in life. 

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/129/3/e827.full?sid=45299156-71bc-46f3-abfe-e0393fcec3d8#T2

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

ktwister
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2012 at 11:27 AM

No cereal.

This is very typical of a newborn.  Just keep nursing him, it's what he needs.  I also agree about wearing him, it maybe enough to to soothe him. That way you can do things around the house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)