Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Omg!!!!!! I just yelled at someone else's kids. So shaken up.

Posted by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM
  • 138 Replies

I dropped my 10yr old son off at child care today at the gym i go too. When I picked him up he was so upset that these 2 boys were yelling mean things to him. They also wouldn't let him play with them and were excluding him. I know kids will develop their own groups but this really lit a fire under my butt. He almost started crying to me while telling me this. Instead of just walking away with him and telling him that he should just ignore mean kids or just play somewhere else, I went back o the area where these 2 boys were and totally yelled at them for their rude behavior. I'm sorry, I just couldn't stop myself. This is the first time anything like this has ever happened. I don't know if I'm more upset with myself for acting that way or at these boys or at my son for being so sensitive all the time. I just don't know what to tell my son to do about kids that say rude things. I am so upset about it all. Very upset.

10 year old and 3 month old...it doesn't get any better than this!big smile mini

by on May. 26, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TarotMommy
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:04 PM
6 moms liked this

Geez, you should be upset with you on this one...

HousewifeNina
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2012 at 3:05 PM
Based on past threads, you are going to get flamed for yelling at someone else's kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Oh dear. That's a bit of a faux pas in playground politics. Yes, I know the temptation a mother has to go over there and start yelling at the other kids for making her child cry. But that could only makes things worse. The other children could single out this child for more harrassment, calling him mama's boy and so on. The other mothers could resent you disciplining their children and exclude your child from activities. The child himself might not learn to fight his own battles, because he expects you to come in and rescue him.

There were times when I wanted to rush in like a lion and tear some cruel bullies limb from limb when they reduced one or the other of my children to tears. But instead, I feigned nonchalance and said, "So he called you 'freckle-face'. What about him stands out and makes him different? Does he have big ears, for example? Tease him back if you like.". They got the message and defended themselves just fine. 

Due9
by your-bff on May. 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM
Quoting HousewifeNina:

Based on past threads, you are going to get flamed for yelling at someone else's kid.

I know. :/

10 year old and 3 month old...it doesn't get any better than this!big smile mini

laciD
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:06 PM
5 moms liked this
I think this is kids being kids and a parent overeacting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Due9
by your-bff on May. 26, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Quoting Sanctimommy:

Oh dear. That's a bit of a faux pas in playground politics. Yes, I know the temptation a mother has to go over there and start yelling at the other kids for making her child cry. But that could only makes things worse. The other children could single out this child for more harrassment, calling him mama's boy and so on. The other mothers could resent you disciplining their children and exclude your child from activities. The child himself might not learn to fight his own battles, because he expects you to come in and rescue him.

There were times when I wanted to rush in like a lion and tear some cruel bullies limb from limb when they reduced one or the other of my children to tears. But instead, I feigned nonchalance and said, "So he called you 'freckle-face'. What about him stands out and makes him different? Does he have big ears, for example? Tease him back if you like.". They got the message and defended themselves just fine. 

You are so right. I really screwed about.

BEXi
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Hopefully they wont make fun of your kid more now. :\

Not the best way to go about it... eh.

Khaleesi
by Mother of Dragons on May. 26, 2012 at 3:10 PM
3 moms liked this

You were out of line for yelling at the other boys. That's something you hould have brought up to whoever is in charge at the daycare.

bcauseimthemom
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope that you are ready for the repercussions of this one. Those two children my turn into a whole group that is now going to treat your son this way. Heck, you gave them more ammunition by acting the way you did. Sounds like the situation is going to be even worse for your son. Try to control yourself a bit better next time.

emeraldangel20
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM

eh, yeah you should have held your tongue.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)