Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is this acceptable as a landlord?

Posted by   + Show Post
I have a rental property that I got a call from today stating the air conditioning was not working properly. They said downstairs (has finished basement it is 62 on the main floor it is 78 and upstairs it is 82. I sent out a company and they said they system is having a hard time keeping up with the heat (95 outside) but there is nothing wrong with the unit unless I wanted to replace it with a larger unit. I guess the one that is in the house is the minimum for the square footage. I want to make my tenant happy and comfortable but don't want to pay to replace a unit that really don't need replacing. I am thinking about offering to buy them a window unit for upstairs and asking them to shut off some of their vents to the basement (the hvac guy said this would help). What do you ladies think? Would you be happy with that solution? Btw I have not spoke with the tenant yet about what the hvac guy said

Update: I just called the tenant. She has the air set at 75 on the main floor (so it is 3 degrees warmer in there) she is going to try turning the vents of down there first and if that don't work she will call me and I will purchase a window unit for her. I am going to lowes in a bit anyways so I am going to see how much they are (assuming 600-700) and look for a energy efficacy one just in case :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Replies (21-30):
LiesLiesLies
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:43 PM
Yes I do.

What state do you live in that you don't have to do anything about it?

Quoting cdi:

Do u rent out ur property? Technically I don't have to do anything but am trying to make the tenant comfortable :) if this still didn't work I would upsize the unit

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

I would have an issue with that. If I rent a home with central air that's what I want...central air. I think buying the window unit and a reduction in rent would be more appropriate.

That being said this happened to me last year. I sucked it up and replaced the whole unit with a larger unit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

If it's 95 outside and only 82 inside, then the central air is working.

I think it's pretty standard to have the upstairs be considerably warmer.  You either shut the vents, run fans or just deal with it.

UxorQuodMatris.
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM
I agree.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

I would have an issue with that. If I rent a home with central air that's what I want...central air. I think buying the window unit and a reduction in rent would be more appropriate.

That being said this happened to me last year. I sucked it up and replaced the whole unit with a larger unit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jmsbowtie
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Yes if you buy if then it would need to be left when they move out.  In our case we buy it we take it with us when we move. 

Quoting cdi:

Thanks :) I would expect them to leave the unit if they left though :)

Quoting jmsbowtie:

Sounds reasonable to me.  I would love to have you for a landlord we have always had to buy our own window units.  

TheMrs407

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

I agree.  CA is a selling point to most renters, especially during the summer. However a lot would also depend on where you are.  Do the summers get hot?  Judging by the temps I'd say no.  In that case I may be able to negotiate less rent for just a window unit.

LiesLiesLies
I think way too many landlords take advantage of people and way too many people don't know their rights.

Just because something isn't technically "broken" it does not mean that they don't have to replace it with a sufficient unit for the property.

Quoting luvhubandbabys:

Window units suck electricity so no I would not be happy with that.

I had this happen it was always close to 80 in my apt I was very unhappy. But ?my landlord said basically since its not broken he wasn't replacing it. They could try closing the vents it may help or u may need a bigger unit. Idk I moved quick as sh** out of that apt tho the next yr. Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cdi
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:46 PM
I live in Ohio and because the unit is functioning properly and technically large enough for the house (although the min for that house) I do not have to replace it

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Yes I do.

What state do you live in that you don't have to do anything about it?

Quoting cdi:

Do u rent out ur property? Technically I don't have to do anything but am trying to make the tenant comfortable :) if this still didn't work I would upsize the unit

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeAmour
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Quoting sheena696:

If I were the tenent I would be willing to try that to see if it helped. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NikkiDoll
by Nicole on May. 26, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

I agree.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiesLiesLies
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:47 PM
It's not working sufficiently for the property.

It is 99 degrees outside and my AC is set on 72 and is 72 inside. That is working.

If your AC is set on a temp and your home is not that set temp then it is not working...no matter how you twist it.

Quoting CLEKate:

If it's 95 outside and only 82 inside, then the central air is working.

I think it's pretty standard to have the upstairs be considerably warmer.  You either shut the vents, run fans or just deal with it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN