Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is this acceptable as a landlord?

Posted by   + Show Post
I have a rental property that I got a call from today stating the air conditioning was not working properly. They said downstairs (has finished basement it is 62 on the main floor it is 78 and upstairs it is 82. I sent out a company and they said they system is having a hard time keeping up with the heat (95 outside) but there is nothing wrong with the unit unless I wanted to replace it with a larger unit. I guess the one that is in the house is the minimum for the square footage. I want to make my tenant happy and comfortable but don't want to pay to replace a unit that really don't need replacing. I am thinking about offering to buy them a window unit for upstairs and asking them to shut off some of their vents to the basement (the hvac guy said this would help). What do you ladies think? Would you be happy with that solution? Btw I have not spoke with the tenant yet about what the hvac guy said

Update: I just called the tenant. She has the air set at 75 on the main floor (so it is 3 degrees warmer in there) she is going to try turning the vents of down there first and if that don't work she will call me and I will purchase a window unit for her. I am going to lowes in a bit anyways so I am going to see how much they are (assuming 600-700) and look for a energy efficacy one just in case :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM
Replies (41-50):
Lizard_Lina
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM
Exactly. My parents have brand new central air and their upstaires is just hotter. It's science.

Quoting redneckmama2:

well considering heat rises it doesnt surprise me that there is a difference. Even in my house my downstairs is always colder than the upstairs.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cdi
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM
They said it is set at 75 on the main floor

Quoting myperfect4inok:

What do they have it set at.

A two story will always have the top floor hotter.

Growing up we had a two story and the upstairs was always hotter.

In my.house my basement is a good 5-10 degrees cooler than my upstairs.

In my state they don't have to provide you with ac just heat. So if I rented it would sound good to me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiesLiesLies
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2012 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
The price of the home reflects the central air and amenities. They leased a home with central air.

That would be like me going and taking the hot tub from my rental property and being like "Too bad! It's not a neccesity."

It's an expectation that they rented a home with that item. It needs to be fully functioning and present.

Quoting sassygoddess:

Air conditioning is not a necessity...is it awesome to have yes but it's not a required part of living.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myperfect4inok
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:55 PM
It depends on what they have the ac set at.
Maybe the ac is set at 80.
My basement is 5-10 degrees cooler than my main floor at all times and we don't even have any vents down there.
We laugh and say we are going to live down there in the summer because its always cooler.

Quoting UxorQuodMatris.:

I have never lived anywhere with central air where the upstairs is that much warmer than the first floor.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

It's not working sufficiently for the property.

It is 99 degrees outside and my AC is set on 72 and is 72 inside. That is working.

If your AC is set on a temp and your home is not that set temp then it is not working...no matter how you twist it.

Quoting CLEKate:

If it's 95 outside and only 82 inside, then the central air is working.

I think it's pretty standard to have the upstairs be considerably warmer.  You either shut the vents, run fans or just deal with it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizard_Lina
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2012 at 3:56 PM
Why should she reduce the rent? I live in the same state, sometimes we have hot days, most days we don't. Since legally she doesn't have to do anything and is still going out of her way to try and help make them more confortable, why should she also have to take a rent cut? Heat rises. Even with central air the upstaires is always warmer than the downstaires. should their rent go back up in the winter since the ac is no longer necassary?

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

It's not functioning properly. If it was it would be the set temp in the home.

Do the right thing. Offer them a window unit and a reduction in rent.

Quoting cdi:

I live in Ohio and because the unit is functioning properly and technically large enough for the house (although the min for that house) I do not have to replace it

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Yes I do.

What state do you live in that you don't have to do anything about it?

Quoting cdi:

Do u rent out ur property? Technically I don't have to do anything but am trying to make the tenant comfortable :) if this still didn't work I would upsize the unit

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

I would have an issue with that. If I rent a home with central air that's what I want...central air. I think buying the window unit and a reduction in rent would be more appropriate.

That being said this happened to me last year. I sucked it up and replaced the whole unit with a larger unit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myperfect4inok
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:56 PM
When did they set it?
Had it been running constantly or are they turning it off and on to not rack up the electric bill?

Quoting cdi:

They said it is set at 75 on the main floor

Quoting myperfect4inok:

What do they have it set at.

A two story will always have the top floor hotter.

Growing up we had a two story and the upstairs was always hotter.

In my.house my basement is a good 5-10 degrees cooler than my upstairs.

In my state they don't have to provide you with ac just heat. So if I rented it would sound good to me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
P.V.Hawkwind
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM
I wouldn't be happy with a window unit. That is nice that you offered but my bill be higher and I choose a house with central air for a reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UxorQuodMatris.
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this
If I was renting a home with central air and the landlord wanted to put in a window unit, rather than fixing the central unit, I would move, honestly.
I really hate window units lol. That's what we're stuck with right now.

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

It's not functioning properly. If it was it would be the set temp in the home.

Do the right thing. Offer them a window unit and a reduction in rent.

Quoting cdi:

I live in Ohio and because the unit is functioning properly and technically large enough for the house (although the min for that house) I do not have to replace it

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Yes I do.

What state do you live in that you don't have to do anything about it?

Quoting cdi:

Do u rent out ur property? Technically I don't have to do anything but am trying to make the tenant comfortable :) if this still didn't work I would upsize the unit

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

I would have an issue with that. If I rent a home with central air that's what I want...central air. I think buying the window unit and a reduction in rent would be more appropriate.

That being said this happened to me last year. I sucked it up and replaced the whole unit with a larger unit.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CLEKate
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I also live in Ohio.  Both older houses I have lived in here have major temperature differences from first to 2nd floor.  It's cause the thermostat is on the first floor where it is always cooler, so it shuts off before the 2nd floor cools down.  The only solution was to shut the vents on the first floor so the 2nd cools off better.  But the 2nd floor never got to the temp set on the thermostat.  Never.  That does not mean that the AC is not working appropriately.

As a landlord, I think you have done what you need to do.  You gave options on how to help get the temperature up.  You confirmed with an HVAC guy that your AC is operating properly.  You are done.  If the tenant is pissy about it, nothing much you can or should have to do.

reesesami
by on May. 26, 2012 at 3:59 PM
That is a very reasonable plan but do you pay their utilities? I fear that running the current ac system plus a window unit at full tilt will cause their energy bill to skyrocket as opposed to buying a larger unit and not have it work so hard. I don't know where you live so that might be more cost effective...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)