Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Moms of autistic kids (spanking)

Posted by   + Show Post
Do you or have you ever spanked your autistic child to discipline them? If you want to know why I ask just ask.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 27, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Replies (11-18):
Texascandee
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Ahhhh, gotcha.  Has she ever done it or just threatened?  Just curious

Quoting jmetz4:

We have friends over and her oldest is autistic. She keeps saying how she's gonna whoop her butt / bust her butt. My son isn't autistic and I don't know much about discipline and autism so I was wondering

Quoting Texascandee:

My grandson is not autistic and I use spanking as a very last resort.  Why did you spank your autistic child?

DACIA79
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2012 at 7:42 PM
My son has a pdd nos diagnosis he is very high functioning he is a very well behaved child so he rarely gets in trouble but I will spank that butt if I need to and he knows it. I don't treat him any different than his brother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by on May. 27, 2012 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a son with delays (he is not autistic). I do not spank, and I disagree with spanking. I think spanking a child with autism is horrble!

jaylinsmom1
by Shannon on May. 27, 2012 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is high functioning so he knows alot of what is going on. I have in the past yes...but it was a last resort and he learned from it. I try and treat him the same as my other child when possible. If I have tryed everything else and he still doesnt do what is right...and he knows it...yes he will get a spanking. But it is never hard ( with either of them) just enough to get the point across that I am serious. 

boys2men2soon
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2012 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

No.  I did try it, and it blew up in my face. LoL.   He hit back!   Hard.    My son has high functioning Asperger's.  Hi is very literal.   Teaching him not to hit others, but it is okay for me to hit him was not realistic.

Paperfishies
by on May. 27, 2012 at 8:50 PM
Agree

Quoting LoriLou75:

I have a son with delays (he is not autistic). I do not spank, and I disagree with spanking. I think spanking a child with autism is horrble!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by on May. 27, 2012 at 9:18 PM

i threaten my ASD child all the time, that i am gonna beat his ass, and he laughs... i never spanked him though.. my DS thrives on physical contact so for him it would be a game.

jmetz4
by on May. 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM
This is my first time meeting her (husband is the boyfriends high school friend) and she just threatens. So far. Frustrating because she is trying to tell me how I need to parent my kid.

Quoting Texascandee:

Ahhhh, gotcha.  Has she ever done it or just threatened?  Just curious

Quoting jmetz4:

We have friends over and her oldest is autistic. She keeps saying how she's gonna whoop her butt / bust her butt. My son isn't autistic and I don't know much about discipline and autism so I was wondering

Quoting Texascandee:

My grandson is not autistic and I use spanking as a very last resort.  Why did you spank your autistic child?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN