Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Housekeepers

Posted by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM
  • 13 Replies
Im thinking of getting one. I'm a single mom and sometimes I don't have the time to THOROUGHLY clean the house like i want to.

Do you have one? If so how frequently do they come (and for how long?) How much do you pay them?

What do you have them clean?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cdi
by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:49 AM
I only have one for special occasions if I don't have time to clean
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on May. 30, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I basically am one. LOL Have been for almost 30 years.

A good housecleaner will spend at least 2 hours and do a lot of things. I do not recommend "chain" housecleaning companies mainly because in my opinion you won't get your bang for your buck. And they are less personal. 

Make sure whom ever you hire is licensed and at least insured. Bonding is really only needed when dealing with empty large jobs.

ripemango
by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Would you mind sharing how you recommend finding one?

Quoting EyEmTuRtLe:

A good housecleaner will spend at least 2 hours and do a lot of things. I do not recommend "chain" housecleaning companies mainly because in my opinion you won't get your bang for your buck. And they are less personal.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

NewMama28
by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:56 AM
Thanks for the info! I'm thinking like wiping down the bathroom sink, floor, toilet and bath... Wiping down the kitchen cabinets and floor... And windows.

Maybe once every... 3 weeks to a month? How much would you say that would cost on average?

Quoting EyEmTuRtLe:

Make sure whom ever you hire is licensed and at least insured. Bonding is really only needed when dealing with empty large jobs.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama_Conners
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:00 AM
I am a housekeeper
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on May. 30, 2012 at 2:02 AM

The best way to find a housecleaner that is low key and personal that gives that extra touch is to ask around.  You'd be surpised who has a housecleaner. Companies like mine only run on word of mouth.

If you have a grocery store (like Safeway, Albertsons, Winco or Fred Meyer) that has a "Community Board" check it out. Some times you will find cleaners putting their cards there. Check out Craigslist.

Just make sure no matter where you find one that you ask to see their license and their insurance policy. You should be able to double check their license online with the state you live in. And call their insurance company to confirm the insurance is active.

That is unless you live in the Seattle area. :o) LOL

Quoting ripemango:

Quoting EyEmTuRtLe:

EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on May. 30, 2012 at 2:08 AM

It all depends on where you live. Seattle, WA is very different from Bismarck, ND and San Diego, CA. So it's hard to say.

$75 for 2 1/2hrs is a pretty fair amount to pay. 

I charge $125 for a once a month cleaning. But that's because I realllllllly dig in and take more than 3 1/2 hours to get it all done.

Quoting NewMama28:

Thanks for the info! I'm thinking like wiping down the bathroom sink, floor, toilet and bath... Wiping down the kitchen cabinets and floor... And windows.

Maybe once every... 3 weeks to a month? How much would you say that would cost on average?

Quoting EyEmTuRtLe:

ripemango
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Thank you for the detailed response! Not that I'm in a situation where I can afford a housekeeper(yet), but I had no idea you shouldn't go through one of the chain places. Good to know!

Quoting EyEmTuRtLe:

The best way to find a housecleaner that is low key and personal that gives that extra touch is to ask around.  You'd be surpised who has a housecleaner. Companies like mine only run on word of mouth.

If you have a grocery store (like Safeway, Albertsons, Winco or Fred Meyer) that has a "Community Board" check it out. Some times you will find cleaners putting their cards there. Check out Craigslist.

Just make sure no matter where you find one that you ask to see their license and their insurance policy. You should be able to double check their license online with the state you live in. And call their insurance company to confirm the insurance is active.

Quoting ripemango:

Quoting EyEmTuRtLe:

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on May. 30, 2012 at 2:12 AM

You're welcome.

I wouldn't say "shouldn't". It's more like "wouldn't".  Especially if you've got a tight wallet. They charge more because no one will second guess their price.

It's like paying for a brand with no taste vs the tasty generic. Which would you want? Personally I'd go for tasty vs the name. LOL

Quoting ripemango:

Thank you for the detailed response! Not that I'm in a situation where I can afford a housekeeper(yet), but I had no idea you shouldn't go through one of the chain places. Good to know!

Quoting EyEmTuRtLe:

Quoting ripemango:

Quoting EyEmTuRtLe:

NewMama28
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:18 AM
Okay totally random bc Yes I live in Seattle, Wa. Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)