Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cry It Out Method :::: I knew it!

Posted by   + Show Post
What do you think about this?
Do you/have you used the CIO method?

http://blogs.babble.com/babys-first-year-blog/2012/05/24/evidence-mounts-against-letting-babies-cry-it-out-as-new-research-says-it-stresses-them-out/?utm_campaign=babbleeditors&utm_content=post&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com

by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Replies (31-40):
erenmichelle
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I am not surprised. I have never used that method. I prefer to give my children any attention that they need, especially when they are just infants.

mackQuin
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I used it with both my kids..if they weren't hurt, hungry or in need of a diaper change and were just crying to cry i let them cry it out. They self soothed themselves and were fine.

My kids are 10 and 6 and i don't think they were affected any.

I woudln't do it with a newborn but i started doing it around 7 or 8 months. 

KatieGirls2
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:27 PM
I agree my oldest slept much better if she fell asleep and slept in her own bed. I never let her cry for than like 5-8min and she was almost always asleep in 2 or 3. My dd2 will cry in my arms sometimes until I lay her down and she is asleep in seconds... Kids are all different....

Quoting misstaylor85:

There is evidence against and for everything it depends on your child..We used the method as a last resort and it turned out that all he wanted the whole time was to be laid down he would fuss for about 30 seconds and then be out like a light he slept better and longer. It sure beat trying to rock a screaming infant for 2 hrs. There is no right and wrong way to parent (other then the obvious to beat or kill your kid) not one thing works for every child.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KatieGirls2
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM
I should slso add that dd was like 5-6mo when we really stared doing it, not an infant....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
berlgirl1224
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2012 at 2:29 PM
When my boys were like 7months old, yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seraphimsong
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 2:29 PM
I do not use it & never will.

Both if my children sleep great knowing if they ever need me I will be right there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lordkanarven
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Well of course it stresses them out haha

Every time scientist does studies about babies I swear to god they could have just asked a few mothers and come up with the same results :)

I dont let her cry it out, when she gets really worked up and nothing I can do helps I set her down and leave the room for about 5 minutes, just long enough to realize that shes alone then when I come back shes just happy to see me and stops crying 

Join me in Blues Mamas if you have a passion for music!
KatieGirls2
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM
Me too! Lol 8min was about the longest I went and that was with dh telling me to wait longer...

Quoting misstaylor85:

True usually the cio method takes alot longer for them to settle and sometimes he did most of the time it was pretty quick though. And honestly if it took longer then 5-10 min for him to settle I would have to get go get him because the mom in me couldn't do it.

Quoting bluesky51201:

That's not crying it out to me. My daughter will be completely out and fuss as soon as I lay her down. By the time I'm half way down the hall she's fast asleep again.

Quoting misstaylor85:

There is evidence against and for everything it depends on your child..We used the method as a last resort and it turned out that all he wanted the whole time was to be laid down he would fuss for about 30 seconds and then be out like a light he slept better and longer. It sure beat trying to rock a screaming infant for 2 hrs. There is no right and wrong way to parent (other then the obvious to beat or kill your kid) not one thing works for every child.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cryssi_renee
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I have used it correctly.  If you think it means to throw your baby in a the crib and let them cry themselves to sleep then you have no idea what you are talking about. 

Aurora-Dove
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:33 PM
DS is really great. The only time he ever really crys is if he falls, he's hungry, sleepy, doesn't get his way or something he isn't suppose to.have gets taken away or during diaper changes. I comfort.him if he gets hurt or is sick, feed him.if he's hungry, as for.the rest if he's mad because i told him no or took something away he crys for about 30 seconds then moves on to something else. diaper changes have to.be done so if he.cries then so.be it lol

Quoting priincessz:

Same here with my 1 yr old. I don't do the whole CIO thing but when I can't get him to stop crying I just let him cry.

Quoting Aurora-Dove:

I have and will continue, he's 15 months old. he doesn't cry a lot, the only time he ever "crys it out" is bedtime or nap time, and its usually no more than 5 minutes before he's asleep. He is probably the happiest and most loving child I've ever seen! 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN