Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cry It Out Method :::: I knew it!

Posted by   + Show Post
What do you think about this?
Do you/have you used the CIO method?

http://blogs.babble.com/babys-first-year-blog/2012/05/24/evidence-mounts-against-letting-babies-cry-it-out-as-new-research-says-it-stresses-them-out/?utm_campaign=babbleeditors&utm_content=post&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com

by on May. 30, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Replies (41-50):
alwaystheresa
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I did with my SS (6 now was baby when got with DH) but with DD (2 next month) I couldnt she was a preemie and had heart problems so we couldnt let her get too worked up. She can be a mess now so sometimes I do let her CIO a bit depending on why she is crying. If she is hurt of course not but if throwing a fit she can cry all day about it. lol.

KatieGirls2
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:34 PM
No kidding lol! And sometimes when we cant calm them they feel our tension too. So laying baby down for a few minutes can help us mommas relax and in turn help relax them... :)

Quoting lordkanarven:

Well of course it stresses them out haha

Every time scientist does studies about babies I swear to god they could have just asked a few mothers and come up with the same results :)

I dont let her cry it out, when she gets really worked up and nothing I can do helps I set her down and leave the room for about 5 minutes, just long enough to realize that shes alone then when I come back shes just happy to see me and stops crying 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRiz1024
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:37 PM
We never let them just scream and cry for hours on end. But we let them fuss for no more than five minutes at bedtime, i mean just fussing, not blood curdling screams or anything.
We have 4 children.under 5 and not a single one throws a fit at bedtime, ever. So im glad we did. But i dont support the parents who just NEVER calm their crying baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I've used it. 

2boys4me4577
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I tried it. My youngest was the worlds worst sleeper and would only sleep 20 minutes at a time and the househad to be completely noise free, it was crazy. At a year this was still going on and I literally could not hold a conversation because of sleep deprivation so I tried it. It worked! For 10 minutes, then he woke up crying again. This went on and on so basically i gave up on that one. I would've done anything to make him sleep even for 2 hours. By age 2 he was STILL  waking up every 20-30 minutes and so then I would try sleeping on the floor next to his crib, and I would pat his head or rub his back to get him back to sleep. No luck. Finally my husband stepped in and said enough of this, your exhausted and we decided he could cry his little heart out. He did and then he slept and has slept through the night and he is seven. He has no behavior or anxiety issues at all and I have my ability to think coherently back.  My neighbor did the CIO method with their newborn (sounds harsh I know), the mom had to go back to work at 6 weeks and knew she would need to be rested in the mornings. By the time I started babysitting her baby at 6 weeks, she was and excellent sleeper and would take long naps and was sleeping through the night. She too, seems fine to me.

angieluvsolivia
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I totally agree.  I rocked my first until she was 10 months old and one day I just set a bed time, put her down and magically w/in a couple of minutes she was out.  My youngest I always put down awake and he never cried and put himself right to sleep.

Quoting misstaylor85:

There is evidence against and for everything it depends on your child..We used the method as a last resort and it turned out that all he wanted the whole time was to be laid down he would fuss for about 30 seconds and then be out like a light he slept better and longer. It sure beat trying to rock a screaming infant for 2 hrs. There is no right and wrong way to parent (other then the obvious to beat or kill your kid) not one thing works for every child.

terramarie
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:42 PM
I have a two week old and I let him cry sometimes. I don't think it's mean. Sometimes nothing works so I just let him cry. Bash away if you must
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aimhawk
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:43 PM

No, not at all. I know how crying really hard makes me feel and I couldn't imagine how it would feel as a baby.

2boys4me4577
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:51 PM

My doc told me that crying is good for their lungs.

itsm3
by on May. 30, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Quoting misstaylor85:

There is evidence against and for everything it depends on your child..We used the method as a last resort and it turned out that all he wanted the whole time was to be laid down he would fuss for about 30 seconds and then be out like a light he slept better and longer. It sure beat trying to rock a screaming infant for 2 hrs. There is no right and wrong way to parent (other then the obvious to beat or kill your kid) not one thing works for every child.

visit me at my blog:  vodka and soda | www.lifeinprogress.ca

i'm charting my progress of the 30-day shred  |  journey to a healther me

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)