Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Am I being too paranoid?

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:08 AM
  • 27 Replies

My MIL says I am being paranoid. DD has been throwing up since 3:30am and hasn't been able to keep anything down, not even water or pedisure and is running a fever. I want to get her checked out just to make sure it is the stomach bug thats been going around (pretty much 3 day flu). She says she is fine and it would be a waste of money.  I still have an hour before the office even opens and DD has finally sacked out again.

Update: I got her an appointment at 11am. It was the soonest I could get her in.

by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mackQuin
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:11 AM
If she isn't keeping anything down she could get dehydrated.

I'm not one to go to the doc though..I wait it out because viruses have to run their course.

I would push fluids ..

However if you are not.exaggerating the fact she can't keep anything down then yes I would take her to her doc..not er.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wifeofarmyman
by Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:12 AM

you have a right to be concerned even if its just a stomach bug if the child can't keep fluids down they could dehydrate quickly that is what would be concerning to me a bug will get better with time but I would still give doc a call to see what they think you should do if nothing else it would give you piece of mind

i_lovedyoufirst
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:13 AM
You trust your own instinct not someone else's.
Your the mother not your mil.
Do what YOU think you should do.
If she can't keep anything down I would be extremely concerned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bnj03
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Nope not exaggerating. It has been literally sip and the moment it hits the stomach she whines and here it comes.

Quoting mackQuin:

If she isn't keeping anything down she could get dehydrated.

I'm not one to go to the doc though..I wait it out because viruses have to run their course.

I would push fluids ..

However if you are not.exaggerating the fact she can't keep anything down then yes I would take her to her doc..not er.

bnj03
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Yeah I need at least some piece of mind. This is the first time she has ever been sick like this.

Quoting wifeofarmyman:

you have a right to be concerned even if its just a stomach bug if the child can't keep fluids down they could dehydrate quickly that is what would be concerning to me a bug will get better with time but I would still give doc a call to see what they think you should do if nothing else it would give you piece of mind

bnj03
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I am.  First time mom and the first time she has been this sick. I just, I don't know, wanted to make sure I wasn't going to extreme.

Quoting i_lovedyoufirst:

You trust your own instinct not someone else's.
Your the mother not your mil.
Do what YOU think you should do.
If she can't keep anything down I would be extremely concerned.

.MoM.
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:18 AM
If it's only been since 3:30am that she hasn't been able to keep anything down, then I'd wait. That's only a few hours
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:21 AM
Hope she feels better!
I would get er checked out too! She could become very dehydrated!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:26 AM
I'd only take her in if she started showing signs of dehydration. I wouldn't want to spread the bug and risk her catching something else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtlecheeks
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Thats your baby and even with a stomache bug/virus it is best to take her to the doctor and make sure that is the issue. she is three and can become dehydrated push fluids, if it is a virus and not a bacteria then treat the symptoms. you dont need antibiotics for virus.

with that said you are the mother and you have the right to be over concered so says the MIL. Its is better to be concerened rather than ignore the health of your child. and if it makes you feel better to know what the issue is and if you need to do something other than just be there to pat her head and rub her tummy, then take her to the doctor to make certain.

just some fyi if it is a bug/virus and she cant hold anything done or very little pedilight and a blan diet tell she feels better will help. applying a cool rag to the back of the neck and keeping her cool will help with the nausea.

good luck momma

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)