Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Can you hear the heartbeat with a Doppler at 8 weeks?

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:16 AM
  • 39 Replies
Just wondering what to expect next appointment.
I remember with DD I had my first appointment at 8 weeks and I think I remember they checked just in case because they said sometimes its possible. But this was so long ago I may be thinking of my second appointment!
So is it possible?
And yes, I googled it, but I am getting conflicting answers!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mackQuin
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Awwww you're preggers. :)

I can't remember I think I was closer to 12.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kennedysmom83
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:22 AM
I think my Dr wouldn't check until 12 because if they can't find it you might get scared, even though it is normal. I was able to find it with my doppler at 9 weeks though. 8 might be pushing it since it was super faint and hard to find at 9.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:22 AM
Yep, 7 week 4 days now!
I wish my memory was better from my pregnancy with DD! Lol!

Quoting mackQuin:

Awwww you're preggers. :)

I can't remember I think I was closer to 12.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2b39465
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:22 AM

At my first appointment at 8 weeks, they did blood tests, urine tests, and talked to me, but they didn't do any physical examinations, no doppler. At my next appointment at about 12 weeks, they did an ultrasound and could hear the heartbeats and I actually had pics to go home with of the boys.

When using those home dopplers, it's a LOT later, maybe in the 20s weeks. Really, I wouldn't waste your money on them, they are more frustrating than anything else. There's so much sound interference.

mommy_2_be_2010
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Heard my daughters hb at my first ob apt
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:24 AM
Yeah, my mom got me one of those last time. It never worked for me. I didn't know what to look for, lol!
I know I won't get an ultrasound until about 20 weeks, they don't do them there.
And blood work has been done and come out good so far.

Quoting mommy2b39465:

At my first appointment at 8 weeks, they did blood tests, urine tests, and talked to me, but they didn't do any physical examinations, no doppler. At my next appointment at about 12 weeks, they did an ultrasound and could hear the heartbeats and I actually had pics to go home with of the boys.

When using those home dopplers, it's a LOT later, maybe in the 20s weeks. Really, I wouldn't waste your money on them, they are more frustrating than anything else. There's so much sound interference.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2b39465
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:32 AM

why not! That stinks, lol. The ultrasound at 12 weeks was the first indication that I had twins, and changed the course of the doctors' plans for me. I started coming in more frequently earlier, things like that. I took up the offer for an ultrasound whenever I could, I LOVED seeing them!

20 weeks is a good time for it, though, b/c they should be able to see the sex of the baby by then.   :)

Quoting MIA0223:

Yeah, my mom got me one of those last time. It never worked for me. I didn't know what to look for, lol!
I know I won't get an ultrasound until about 20 weeks, they don't do them there.

Quoting mommy2b39465:

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:35 AM
That's the policy at this OB. One ultrasound the entire pregnancy at around 20 weeks unless there is reason to suspect something wrong.
I had 3 with DD, 19 weeks but she was too active to see her spine and other things, 23 weeks to see all that, and 42 weeks to check fluid level.

Quoting mommy2b39465:

why not! That stinks, lol. The ultrasound at 12 weeks was the first indication that I had twins, and changed the course of the doctors' plans for me. I started coming in more frequently earlier, things like that. I took up the offer for an ultrasound whenever I could, I LOVED seeing them!

20 weeks is a good time for it, though, b/c they should be able to see the sex of the baby by then.   :)

Quoting MIA0223:

Quoting mommy2b39465:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
randomosityblog
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:36 AM

I think that's too early. 

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on May. 31, 2012 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

ISRAAAAAAAAA!!!!  Congrats girlie :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN