Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I just saw a story on tv and wondered what other moms thought of this issue when is a good time to stop breast feeding your child? how do others feel on this subject? I never did breast feed my children due to having a toddler and then twins close in age and that was my preference not downing anyone either just wondered what others thought on this subject?

by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
wifeofarmyman
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I didn't know that I wish now I would have breast fed but at time it was hard to feed my daughter because of milk issues then when she was 14 months old I got pregnant with twins and decided to just bottle feed them all but I do no babies are healthier when breast fed

Quoting micheledo:

I have breastfed one of my children almost to the age of three.  One almost to the age of two, and up to one year.  Pregnancy has ended most of the breastfeeding because my milk supply dropped so low.  Otherwise I probably would have nursed the last two well past three.

Even after nursing five children I am still learning more about it all the time.  I think one of the most interesting things I have learned is that the toddler milk is more concentrated!!  A toddler (who only usually nurses for very short moments) gets all the nutrients, antibodies, stem cells, etc. in a couple of minutes that a newborn would get in a lengthy nursing session!

wifeofarmyman
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:38 AM

also if I had breast fed my children I would have probally done so until they decided they were done unless I ran out of milk before then

carryannsmommy
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:42 AM
If I was able to breastfeed I would untill about a year and if needed pump and put in a cup. Daughter was off the bottle at 9 months. And off formula at about same time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on May. 31, 2012 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

whenever the parent and the children are ready to stop

Texascandee
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:45 AM

My own personal opinion is when they start to get teeth.  I don't down mom's who bf longer.  That's their choice in how long they bf

epoh
by Emerald Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:45 AM
3 moms liked this
When mom or baby no longer desire to continue nursing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Some babies are born with teeth.

Quoting Texascandee:

My own personal opinion is when they start to get teeth.  I don't down mom's who bf longer.  That's their choice in how long they bf

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i_lovedyoufirst
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Wasn't meant to be a indirect attack.
My family is constantly putting me down. They believe i should wean at 1.
Sorry it's a touchy subject for me

Quoting wifeofarmyman:

good for you just know I wasn't downing anyone I think it is everyone's personal decision but wondered what other thought on the subject

Quoting i_lovedyoufirst:

I'll stop breastfeeding when my son&daughter decide they are ready to stop.sto

Who am I to take away their comfort because other people don't agree? It's a free country & it's my body

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candipandi
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I say, whenever the mom is ready to stop.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
naturalmama133
by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

a good time to stop breastfeeding is when either child or mother is ready to stop, there is no good age or anything...although breastfeeding until at least 2 is my goal for all of my children and beyond 2 if they are still interested in nursing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN