Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I just saw a story on tv and wondered what other moms thought of this issue when is a good time to stop breast feeding your child? how do others feel on this subject? I never did breast feed my children due to having a toddler and then twins close in age and that was my preference not downing anyone either just wondered what others thought on this subject?

by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Replies (31-40):
eesmommy
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 9:28 AM
When my babies stopped asking for it, I quit, I figured if they wanted it they knew where to fo for it and when they were done they would stop asking.... and thats thw way it worked. Now, though I wish that they had wanted it longer, I miss it:/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Young_Mommy89
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 9:34 AM
I say when you stop bottle feeding...if they are to stop nursing a bottle at 1 they should stop nursing a boob at 1...I personally think 2 is pushing it & I am a breastfeeding mom(dd had to switch to formula but I plan to breastfeed ds until I can't anymore...before that age of course) when I stop I will pump what I can for his cup if I feel the need to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GMom2011
by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

22 years old

MamaDee83
by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:41 AM

That's horrible, your family should be a source of support for you! Tell them that when they are sucking on your breast, they get a say in it!! There is a lot of iterature out there to support breast feeding past a year, btw. I know YOU know this, but I was just saying :-) You can come to us for support whenever you need it!

Quoting i_lovedyoufirst:

Wasn't meant to be a indirect attack.
My family is constantly putting me down. They believe i should wean at 1.
Sorry it's a touchy subject for me

Quoting wifeofarmyman:

good for you just know I wasn't downing anyone I think it is everyone's personal decision but wondered what other thought on the subject

Quoting i_lovedyoufirst:

I'll stop breastfeeding when my son&daughter decide they are ready to stop.sto

Who am I to take away their comfort because other people don't agree? It's a free country & it's my body

micheledo
by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Not attacking you - but I'm quoting you because so many people feel this way.  I think it is amazing how the formula industry and bottle feeding has had such a HUGE impact on breastfeeding.   Because bottles are bad for a babies teeth, and formula sitting on their teeth can rot them, and 2 year olds 'shouldn't' be walking around with a bottle: therefore it is the same with nursing.  A liquid diet is only for babies - at least that is the mindset today.  When a baby is too old for formula or bottles that means breastfeeding too.  And yet breastfeeding is completely different. 

Even nursing vs. pumping is better for the baby.  Your body actually will produce the antibodies your child needs within 24 houts (I think that is what I read) of you nursing them - it gets that information from their saliva when they nurse!!  You can't get that by putting it in a cup.  Nursing also has no effect on their teeth (like a bottle can). 

I just think it is interesting how everything we know about bottles is applied to the breast when it really shouldn't be.  And I am continually amazed at all that I learn about breastfeeding.  After nursing 5 babies I sometimes feel like I know most of what there is to know about nursing, but that just isn't true!

Quoting ArianasMama2007:

At the same time you would stop bottle feeding, when they are old enough to use a cup

mrssummerlin
by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:54 AM
I used to say "not past 2", but the older I got the more I began to think that you should stop when the child is ready and not before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
naturalmama133
by on May. 31, 2012 at 9:59 AM

the flaw with that theory is bottles and breasts are completely different. a bottle will rot their teeth, a breast will not

Quoting Young_Mommy89:

I say when you stop bottle feeding...if they are to stop nursing a bottle at 1 they should stop nursing a boob at 1...I personally think 2 is pushing it & I am a breastfeeding mom(dd had to switch to formula but I plan to breastfeed ds until I can't anymore...before that age of course) when I stop I will pump what I can for his cup if I feel the need to.

LadyCat97
by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:01 AM
I don't know, I'm trying to figure that out myself...lol. my ds is 28 months and still nursing. I really like to stop but he's too attached. I guess we will self wean, I just hope it's before he's three.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I think one year is the minimum someone should stop, but 2 years is reccomended. I did not make it to two years with either of my kids, but I do believe at least 1 year is best.

jessi2girls
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2012 at 10:05 AM

you should try to breastfeed until they are a year... although that's not always a possibility. So for as long as possible in the first year.. I guess would be a better response..

After that it is up to the mother and the child to decide when it's time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN