Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I just saw a story on tv and wondered what other moms thought of this issue when is a good time to stop breast feeding your child? how do others feel on this subject? I never did breast feed my children due to having a toddler and then twins close in age and that was my preference not downing anyone either just wondered what others thought on this subject?

by on May. 31, 2012 at 8:25 AM
Replies (41-45):
MrsErdos2011
by on May. 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

At least til he's 2 after that whenever he wants to stop.

mikiemom
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Exactly - so telling a women it is wrong to nurse into toddlerhood is against our biology. Biology not social attitudes should rule how we feed our children.

Quoting micheledo:

I have breastfed one of my children almost to the age of three.  One almost to the age of two, and up to one year.  Pregnancy has ended most of the breastfeeding because my milk supply dropped so low.  Otherwise I probably would have nursed the last two well past three.

Even after nursing five children I am still learning more about it all the time.  I think one of the most interesting things I have learned is that the toddler milk is more concentrated!!  A toddler (who only usually nurses for very short moments) gets all the nutrients, antibodies, stem cells, etc. in a couple of minutes that a newborn would get in a lengthy nursing session!

TaylorFam02
by on May. 31, 2012 at 11:23 AM
I do not wean before 2 years. Optimally will nurse until they self wean. Depending on circumstances/ pregnancy etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Young_Mommy89
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 12:53 PM
And the flaw with THAT is I've seen many babies with bottles far beyond the time they should have them, yet there's nothing wrong with their teeth....dd was on a cup before one so ds will most likely be as well

Quoting naturalmama133:

the flaw with that theory is bottles and breasts are completely different. a bottle will rot their teeth, a breast will not

Quoting Young_Mommy89:

I say when you stop bottle feeding...if they are to stop nursing a bottle at 1 they should stop nursing a boob at 1...I personally think 2 is pushing it & I am a breastfeeding mom(dd had to switch to formula but I plan to breastfeed ds until I can't anymore...before that age of course) when I stop I will pump what I can for his cup if I feel the need to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
naturalmama133
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:58 PM

no that's just a grey area lol. both my kids used cups before one too because that's all i gave them...boobs and cups is all they get, no bottles, no sippies...but i have the advantage of getting to stay home with them, everyone isn't as fortunate. 

Quoting Young_Mommy89:

And the flaw with THAT is I've seen many babies with bottles far beyond the time they should have them, yet there's nothing wrong with their teeth....dd was on a cup before one so ds will most likely be as well

Quoting naturalmama133:

the flaw with that theory is bottles and breasts are completely different. a bottle will rot their teeth, a breast will not

Quoting Young_Mommy89:

I say when you stop bottle feeding...if they are to stop nursing a bottle at 1 they should stop nursing a boob at 1...I personally think 2 is pushing it & I am a breastfeeding mom(dd had to switch to formula but I plan to breastfeed ds until I can't anymore...before that age of course) when I stop I will pump what I can for his cup if I feel the need to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN