Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Was the airline right to kick 3 yr old off plane?

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM
  • 53 Replies

3-year-old kicked off flight for refusing to wear his seatbelt has caught the attention of folks across the Internet. According to KiroTV, Mark Yanchuck and his son, Daniel, were on a red-eye flight to Miami when the incident occurred. Yanchuck said that his son was sleepy and a little fussy, which prevented him from sitting up straight and using his seatbelt. Despite his best efforts, the father couldn’t calm the child down.

Flight attendants attempted to solve the problem by moving the child’s mother, who was seated near the front of the plane, closer to her child. According to Svetlana Yanchuck, Daniel had his belt fastened when she arrived, and it only took a few minutes to calm the crying child down. By this point, unfortunately, it was too little too late.

After moving about 50 feet, the pilot announced that they had to return to the gate. Once they had arrived, Mark was informed that he and his son would have to leave the plane. After pleading his case to no avail, the entire family disembarked, though they were clearly not happy about the ordeal. The pilot stated the decision to remove the child was a matter of safety.

“I thought we were treated like criminals,” Svetlana remarked.

According to flight attendants, several conversations about the boy’s behavior took place before the decision was made to give them the boot. The Yanchucks, meanwhile, claim that their son had settled down by the time they were asked to leave. The family has refused to have their flight rebooked by the airline.

by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
silverdawn99
by Jamie on May. 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM

well i mean the airplane attendants did try so i dont think the airline was wrong to have them removed from the plane

BrookeNicole86
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2012 at 12:09 PM
I was reading about this in the local newspaper yesterday...

I think that the pilot had to make a judgement call, and at the time he made that call, the dad still didn't have the kid's seatbelt on. I don't see the problem with what happened.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Not sure I'd like hear what the other passengers say about it all. Several conversations too, I mean... I can see the airlines point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3greatkids751
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM
"A matter of safety" from what for God sake? A tired grumpy 3 yr old...Oh Ya I forgot a 3 yr old poses a huge threat on a flight for God sakes. Airlines need to get there priorities straight. *smh*
*edit* I'm not saying the kid shouldn't have worn a seatbelt, he should have! However kicking them off the flight AFTER the child was calm was going a bit over bored.. I've said it before and I'll say it again God I'm glad I don't fly..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momdoes
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting 3greatkids751:

"A matter of safety" from what for God sake? A tired grumpy 3 yr old...Oh Ya I forgot a 3 yr old poses a huge threat on a flight for God sakes. Airlines need to get there priorities straight. *smh*

A matter of safety for the CHILD, who did not have the belt on for SAFETY.

FooLynRoo
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM
3 moms liked this

absolutely right.

Who do I believe - flight attendants who's job it is to make sure their passengers are safe and have NO REASON to want to kick a child and his family off

OR

biased parents

hmmmm

FooLynRoo
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:12 PM

The CHILDS safety.

Quoting 3greatkids751:

KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Its unfortunate they had to do go that far but I dont see anything wrong with it...its a safety issue. 

3greatkids751
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM
I edited my comment ;)

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting 3greatkids751:

A matter of safety for the CHILD, who did not have the belt on for SAFETY.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andersongirl562
by on May. 31, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Yes those parents should learn to control their child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN