Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do you give back to your community?

Posted by   + Show Post

To help fight hunger, JUICY JUICE® and Feeding America® have launched the Fruit For All Project which will donate up to 35 million pieces of fruit to children and families in need.  Share how you give back to your community.

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 4:25 PM
Replies (11-20):
MeAndTommyLee
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I assist with the placement of homeless individuals and families in shelters and churches.

I help uninsured pregnant women apply for KidCare.

I advocate for the mentally ill in my state.

coleysmama
by Lisa on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I'm involved in Boy Scouts. Through that we do several service projects a year like clothing drives, food drives, soup kitchen, toy drives, pet supply drives. Help our local churches, veterans associations  and senior citizen homes with clean ups and repairs.

numonestunar
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:37 PM
Every month 10-20% goes to local homeless shelters and soup kitchens.
We hold garage sales and give local charities the money.
Once a month my family cooks and serves our less fortunate.
My neighborhood has donated new kitchen equipment for the local soup kitchen.
Our neighborhood donates non perishable food to the regional food bank.
We help those who are less fortunate any chance we get.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dereksmom1018
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I volunteeer at the crisis pregnancy center

christi34
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I donate unused clothing and furniture to either Goodwill or Salvation Army. I donate blood as often as I can. We donate can goods up to five times a year. 

Linds2Horse
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Right now I'm in the process of collecting donations from individuals and business in my community so that we can buy shoes for local school-aged children whose families can't afford shoes.

On Thursday I bought $100 worth of socks and underwear at Target to anonymously donate to children who need them at my son's school.

I volunteer at my son's school and help to raise funds for the school.

Two weeks ago my son and I planted native grasses along the bank of a local creek to prevent erosion.

Every year my family collects donations and create gift baskets for teen who would not otherwise get any Crhistmas presents.

In two weeks I'll spend a day building a home for Habitat for Humanity.

mandy716
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 3:06 AM
I am currently the head of the advisory board for the food pantry. My husband is the director and my kids make some pretty amazing volunteers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofsixangels
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I help a homeless man and his dog.I also am involved in alzheimers.I had a garage sale last weekend to raise money.I also sell the bracelets and pins and I am doing the alzheimers walk in oct.

Amyinthesky
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I volunteer with the Salvation army drives 

treystiredmommy
by Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 7:02 AM

i participate in the penguin pluge every year for special olympics, when i can afford it i buy extra food for local food banks, all of our old toys and clothes get donated, whenever possible i buy hte little balloons or what have you for charities at the grocery or drug store and when possible i volunteer for local community/church fundraisers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)