Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What are your thoughts about the number of bedrooms in your house?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM
  • 67 Replies

My DH and I are house shopping (have been for what seems like FOREVER- about 2 years now) We have only found 2 houses that we loved enough to put offers on... and they didn't work out. They were both 4-5 bedroom homes, both 2500+ sq feet. 

We already have 2 kids and are TTC another. We want at least 4 chidren.

We found a house that we both love yesterday. It's a little bigger than the one we live now and is 1500 sq feet so it's not huge but it's an open floor plan so feels bigger than what it is. BUT it only has 3 bedrooms. 

I'm curious on other peoples thoughts on this subject. Is it terrible to have kids sharing a room? I have one of each now- 4 (son) and 2 (daughter), would it be terrible to have them sharing a room?? 

I'm just soo tired of house hunting. :( We're both so picky on what we want and this house is beautiful inside and would fit our needs for now. I am ready to just say forget it and say we just build- but we won't be able to build for about 2 more years. 

We've outgrown our house and I don't want to live here any longer. It's only about 1000 sq and one bathroom and no storage. We rent from his grandparents and it's sooo cheap but I'm so over living here. 

What are your thoughts on bedroom sharing, advice for buying or building a house, advice on anything to do with this subject? 

by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I grew up sharing a room with my sister and wouldn't have had it any other way. We only have two bedrooms in our house, so my daughters share a room and it's working out just fine.

dusky_rose
by Sue on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM
1 mom liked this

There are possiblities of adding on to a smaller home. If you bought a 3 bedroom home with a  2 car attached garage, the garage can be remodeled into two more bedrooms down the road. And then there are homes with unfinished basements.

jillbailey26
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM

We live in a 4br home and have 3 kids.  One room is ours, our boys share a room, our daughter has her own room, and the 4th bedroom is our guest room.

I don't see anything wrong with kids sharing a room.  Our boys have always shared a room.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:19 PM
We have two kids and three bedrooms. I want a 4 bedroom so bad. If we buy or build that's what I'm looking for. It would be nice to have a playroom and then an office/gym when they don't need a playroom anymore.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Our house hunting criteria are no more than three bedroom (we have 2 girls, 1 boy, every intention of boy(s) sharing and girls sharing), 1 bathroom, no more than 1200 sq ft, and a minimum of a quarter acre lot.

DaiTilley
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM
We have four bedrooms with one baby. Master, nursery, guest bedroom, and office. We will have a fifth bedroom when we finish the basement, and we're going to have our son's playroom downstairs as well. I don't see a problem with kids sharing a room; I didn't get my own room until I was 15.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinglife0682
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM
We have a four bedroom house, with onE bedroom downstairs. We just put our two girls in the same room and the baby will have her own room when she comes. We also have a playroom so the room just have their beds and clothes in them.
.MoM.
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM
If you want 4 kids you'll quickly outgrow a 1500sf house. I don't think there's anything wrong with kids sharing bedrooms but what if you have 2 more boys or 2 more girls? You'd have 3 kids in one bedroom. We have 2 kids (1 boy & 1 girl).. our house is 2100sf (not including the unfinished basement), 3 bedrooms and an office. we won't have anymore kids but I do want at least one more bedroom for guests when we finish the basement
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:24 PM

My feelings on room sharing is it's absolutely fine.  I have 4 siblings, we all had to share rooms at some point and none of us is scarred from it.  I'd even say that it builds character :-) 

However, just from a practical standpoint and looking into the future in terms of your living situation, if I could afford a home with 4 or more bedrooms comfortably, I'm not sure I'd opt for the 3 bedroom that will work right now just because I want to move so badly, KWIM?  Moving is a huge pain in the ass and reducing the number of times you move is ideal.  It would be fine to have 3 kids dispersed over 2 rooms, but you mentioned you'd like to have 4 kids and that could potentially feel a bit crowded in that space (people do it all the time, of course, but in an ideal world, it's nice to have more room than that for a family of 6, you know?).  Just my two cents.  Good luck with everything!  House hunting is fun, stressful and exhausting all at the same time!

alwayskk
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I like my kids having their own rooms but I also only have two and don't want any more. I lived in a one-bedroom apartment with the kids for a year, it was awful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN