Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Amber Portman sentenced to 5 years in prison

Posted by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:10 AM
  • 11 Replies

(CNN) -- Reality-show subject Amber Portwood, whose legal troubles began on MTV's "Teen Mom" show, will be in an Indiana prison for the next two years or more.

Madison County, Indiana, Circuit Judge David Happe ruled Tuesday that Portwood must serve the prison time he imposed earlier this year when she pleaded guilty to a felony drug charge. She had avoided prison with a plea deal that included drug rehab, but she dropped out of the program last month.

Portwood, 22, was arrested on May 24 for violating her drug court probation requirements by failing a urine test and then lying about it, Prosecuting Attorney Rodney Cummings said.

Opinion: MTV's 'Teen Mom' glamorizes getting pregnant

That violation may not have caused probation to be revoked, since probationers are given two or three opportunities, "but she just opted out," Cummings said. "I just don't think she knew opting out meant five years in prison."

Portwood will likely spend two-and-a-half years in prison before being released on parole for the remainder of the five years, Cummings said. Inmates get a day reduced from their prison time for each day successfully served. It is possible she could get another 30-day reduction for completing a drug rehab program while in prison, he said.

The report that Portwood definitely will be placed in a prison drug rehab program is not accurate, since that can only be decided once she is in the Indiana prison system, he said.

It probably will take two weeks before the commitment order is signed by the judge and Portwood is transferred from the Madison County jail to state corrections department custody, he said.

Kim Kardashian blames MTV for teen pregnancies

Portwood was first arrested on felony domestic violence charges in November 2010 because of incidents seen on her reality TV show -- where she was shown shoving, punching, slapping and choking her boyfriend, Gary Shirley.

In November, HLN's Jane Velez-Mitchell reported on "Teen Mom" star Amber Portwood's personal and legal woes.

She was rearrested last December when a probation search found "a fairly sufficient amount of several different prescription pills" that were not prescribed to her, Cummings said.

She spent more than a month in jail before reaching a plea deal on a felony drug charge that included the drug rehab program, he said.

Her 3-year-old daughter is in the custody of Shirley, the father.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/05/showbiz/teen-mom-prison/index.html?eref=rss_crime

CafeMom Tickers

wedding planning

by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smushy79
by Silver Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:12 AM

She is an idiot.

numonestunar
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Wow. She's pathetic. I really do hope she'll change her life after prison, but it's doubtful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadsmummy
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:15 AM
Its probably the best thing she can do for herself. She knows she cannot get clean outside prision. Better for her to be incarcerated for the next 2 years get clean than spend the next who knows still being an addicted playing the court system and herself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BambiF
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:17 AM
Wow..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starry_dreamer
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:18 AM
I do sort of feel bad for Gary. I do feel 100% bad for that precious little girl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamie_85
by Ruby Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM
Hopefully, she'll stay clean after she's released.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel20
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Quoting starry_dreamer:

I do sort of feel bad for Gary. I do feel 100% bad for that precious little girl.

i do too, that was my first thought reading it.

CafeMom Tickers

wedding planning

teri4lance
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM
Just reinforces the fact that she is trash and not worthy of public attn. That whole show is garbage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
danichaos
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:25 AM
I hope amber can get her shit together in jail. Get her ged, drug free, maybe some training or college courses under her belt and turn into a productive member of society
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2ljh
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 8:29 AM
I feel so bad for her daughter. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN