Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Project free TV.. ? How do you NOT break the law?

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:03 AM
  • 15 Replies

I just found out about Project Free TV:

http://projectfree.tv/

and I'm curious how it's possible to watch these shows/movies without breaking the law or committing copyright infringement? 

NO, I'm not asking for tips.  I just don't see how it's possible to do it legitimately.. and I guess I'm wondering how people do it without worrying about the possible ramifications.  I'm too paranoid to do it.. lol.  I also worry about my computers getting messed up with a virus, etc. 

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:07 AM

My guy said it isnt really a legal site.  If you want to watch something for free go to hulu he says.  Or go to whichever network the program you want to see.   My guy says it is fairly virus free but can get in trouble if someone caught you.

AnnieMcD
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:13 AM

You're not breaking the law when watching on there because you're not the one sharing the information. You're not downloading, just streaming. 

It's a grey area, but technically the people who upload the videos are the ones actually breaking the law. 

AnnieMcD
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:14 AM

The problem is Hulu and the other "legal" sites only have select shows. You can't watch whatever you want, and most of the time they don't have what I want. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

My guy said it isnt really a legal site.  If you want to watch something for free go to hulu he says.  Or go to whichever network the program you want to see.   My guy says it is fairly virus free but can get in trouble if someone caught you.

A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:16 AM
Never heard of it. I have cable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:17 AM

True dat.   I am taking advantage of the On Demand for our comcast service right now. I rarely watch tv shows on the computer due to glare and other visual problems.

Quoting AnnieMcD:

The problem is Hulu and the other "legal" sites only have select shows. You can't watch whatever you want, and most of the time they don't have what I want. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

AnnieMcD
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:20 AM

Comcast On Demand is great, but they still don't have the things I want to watch. LOL

Quoting frndlyfn:

True dat.   I am taking advantage of the On Demand for our comcast service right now. I rarely watch tv shows on the computer due to glare and other visual problems.

Quoting AnnieMcD:

Quoting frndlyfn:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:22 AM

DD loves she can watch some of hte Nick Jr and Disney jr on there since we do not get those channels (only expanded basic here).  She will watch the same episode 5 times in a week.

Quoting AnnieMcD:

Comcast On Demand is great, but they still don't have the things I want to watch. LOL

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting AnnieMcD:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Sassy762
by Emerald Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:24 AM

Bump for the site names, lol

Lachrymose
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Ah. I got freaked out when I read about how they "aren't responsible" for blah blah blah.. but this does make sense.  :)  Thanks for clearing that up! 

We use Hulu and it's pretty crappy right now since nothing is really playing over the summer.. and we are pretty picky about what we watch. 

It was also weird when the site said right there to "spread the word" about the site.. when most hacker sites are secretive and get shut down a lot.  But your explanation tells me why! 

Quoting AnnieMcD:

You're not breaking the law when watching on there because you're not the one sharing the information. You're not downloading, just streaming. 

It's a grey area, but technically the people who upload the videos are the ones actually breaking the law. 

trottier531
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:40 AM

I don't know about that program, but if you're looking to avoid cable bills there is Netflix and Hulu.  For a much smaller fee you can stream tv shows and movies to your computers and tvs (if they are connected to the internet).  My brother has an HDTV and he just uses an antenna on the roof and gets alot of channels with an excellent picture for free.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN