Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If you're in direct sales (aka Avon, Mary Kay, 31, etc....) rant

Posted by   + Show Post

You are selling sub-par crap that I could get at any drug/big-box retail store for half the price.

Your methods of roping your good friends and family into hosting "parties" and subsequently roping their friends into buying your sub-par crap is exploitative and annoying. And don't tell me that "oh, just come! You don't have to buy anything - it's FUN!"

a) while you all annoy me, I'm not going to show up to a friend's "party" and not buy anything. We all know that's the game

b) WTF is "fun" about these parties? Oh, wait! I might win a nail file if I'm the last one holding it during the "right, left" game. Whoop de fucking do.

Financial freedom, empowerment, being your own boss, reaching your dreams - please don't give me that f'ing schpiel. EVERY single company has the same tagline in one form or another. You make money by annoying people into buying your crap/signing up to become a part of that "company." Then, under the guise of "coaching" them, you arm-wrestle them into buying yet even more shit to enhance their new business, which ultimately ends up on ebay 3 months later when your disgruntled "downline" realizes it's all a farce and realizes it's all a farce.

Is there a secret password I need to use to get you guys to STFU once I polietely tell you, in no uncertain terms that I am not interested in being all that I can be or attaining unlimited financial wealth by selling over-priced lipsticks/skincreams/bags/dip mixes/coffee/scrap book supplies/organic cleaning shit? What part of "no" is not understood? I know the "big wigs" at your company give you an answer for every possible objection, but at what point do you just give up?

::End rant::

Good night!

by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Replies (21-30):
AMR320
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree. I HATE these "parties"!!!! And sirry but sitting around looking at a consultant describe products that I don't want is NOT a party! So lame!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfbitebug
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol I've never done this kind of work, but I went to a party once.
I actually did buy something, for someone else's birthday gift, but I felt like a damn fool at the party.
I asked a question and got a tootsie roll for asking a question with lots of high-pitched praise for "such a good question!" . I was just like, "WTF is this shit?" Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't agree with you more, I have found some stuff i like from some of those companies but I do without to avoid the "consultants".  I used to work on the back end of a mlm and they are all really just pyramid schemes

corib4687
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:16 AM
I like Avon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
numonestunar
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:16 AM
Then don't go. If you do go, don't buy anything! I never go. if I want to buy what you're selling, I'll come to you, kwim...gen. you, btw. I'm so glad we do not allow solicitation at my work. No more party invites!! LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommavieve
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM
2 moms liked this
I like Mary Kay's face creams.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittani
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM
My company dosent sell anything.g or president people and we have an a rating with bbb and a money back guarantee. We are risk free and products that you.can't buy in any store and cost 30% less than anything.you.can buy in the store and they work a lot better.....not all companies are the same. I don't like parties either that's why my company doesn't do them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom5150
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I host Tupperware Bingo. That is fun! It's like 12-15 different parties at once! I have won all the high end things doing this, have actuallly paid for very little. I own just about everything. My friends don't always buy stuff either. I just have them to have a good time with my peeps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM
One of my best friends sells Avon. She is never pushy about it. The only "active selling" she does is wear the new jewelry to work--we all fall in love with it and usually buy it, lol. But otherwise, all she does is give us the new booklet every two weeks. No parties, no pressure, nothing.

I have another friend who sells Mary Kay...Yeah, you pretty much HAVE to be pushy when you sell that. :-( Luckily I love the Mary Kay makeup remover, so she's happy if I just buy that every couple of months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kenre
by Ruby Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 1:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I need Avon Skin so soft. My kids are being eaten by mosquitos this year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)