Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If you're in direct sales (aka Avon, Mary Kay, 31, etc....) rant

Posted by   + Show Post

You are selling sub-par crap that I could get at any drug/big-box retail store for half the price.

Your methods of roping your good friends and family into hosting "parties" and subsequently roping their friends into buying your sub-par crap is exploitative and annoying. And don't tell me that "oh, just come! You don't have to buy anything - it's FUN!"

a) while you all annoy me, I'm not going to show up to a friend's "party" and not buy anything. We all know that's the game

b) WTF is "fun" about these parties? Oh, wait! I might win a nail file if I'm the last one holding it during the "right, left" game. Whoop de fucking do.

Financial freedom, empowerment, being your own boss, reaching your dreams - please don't give me that f'ing schpiel. EVERY single company has the same tagline in one form or another. You make money by annoying people into buying your crap/signing up to become a part of that "company." Then, under the guise of "coaching" them, you arm-wrestle them into buying yet even more shit to enhance their new business, which ultimately ends up on ebay 3 months later when your disgruntled "downline" realizes it's all a farce and realizes it's all a farce.

Is there a secret password I need to use to get you guys to STFU once I polietely tell you, in no uncertain terms that I am not interested in being all that I can be or attaining unlimited financial wealth by selling over-priced lipsticks/skincreams/bags/dip mixes/coffee/scrap book supplies/organic cleaning shit? What part of "no" is not understood? I know the "big wigs" at your company give you an answer for every possible objection, but at what point do you just give up?

::End rant::

Good night!

by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Replies (251-260):
Oddy_Knocky
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:03 PM
Winning!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snevins61105
by Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I know how you feel to a certain point.  When I went to parties, I HATED to be pressured into parties and listening to a long boring speal.

So, when I joined Miche, I went with it in a different approach.  I hated all those things you mentioned so I never once mention the business opportunity.  I mention hosting parties ONCE and it's a 5 sec mention.  I don't play any games and most of my parties are Open House style so that ladies can come & go as they please and shop and socialize as they want.  I don't call or spam people asking them to have parties or anything like that.  I figured why do the same things that I always hated.  I figure that if you love the product, they'll ask to host a party.  If they want to sell it, they'll ask for more info. 

Because of my laid back, easy going style, I have had every weekend booked with a party since January 2011 and I started in September 2010.  People ask and call me to host parties.  I've never once had to go after people and bug them to host.

So with that said, please don't frown upon all of us that are in Direct Sales.  Yes, I agree, a big majority of them are very pushy and rude but not all.  Thanks!

proudGBmama
by Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:29 AM
No we have l.o.c. artistry nutrilite xs and a whole Bunch more

Quoting brittani:

Does you company make sol u mel. It saved my couch and wallpaper after my son found a green permenent marker and colored on my couch and my walls. Sol u mel took it off before I even touched the wall with a sponge. Love it

Quoting proudGBmama:

I think we are in the same business ....

Quoting brittani:

My company dosent sell anything.g or president people and we have an a rating with bbb and a money back guarantee. We are risk free and products that you.can't buy in any store and cost 30% less than anything.you.can buy in the store and they work a lot better.....not all companies are the same. I don't like parties either that's why my company doesn't do them

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiliMama18
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Still waiting ----

Quoting LiliMama18:

Lol - its called....wait for it....a MONOGRAMMED PURSE. Can ya believe it?

Tell me one thing I'm pretending to know that I don't...just one...come on...

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Grow up! Unlike you I don't try to pretend that I know things I don't. I don't purchase purses that are so expensive I could pay 3-4 months of rent with.

Quoting LiliMama18:

Yeah it does matter, if you're going to call me an idiot you can at least answer the question, if you can't or won't, well-you've proved my point. :)

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Does it matter? I dont buy those purses..... they are over priced....

Quoting LiliMama18:

How come you answered this, but didn't answer when I asked you what style the purse I posted was?

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Lol.... Wow....

Quoting LiliMama18:

Yep not defensive at all. You're keeping me amused as I stretch out on a lawn chair at my yard sale. You, on the other hand are getting frustrated and angry -I'm not :)

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Who said I was getting defensive? You point out your opinions.... I point out facts about my business.... Dont like it too fucking bad....

Quoting LiliMama18:

And she is sooooo successful at it, she doesn't get defensive at all when people bring up valid points about her line of work

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

I sell for Intimate Expressions. LOVE IT! Been with the company since Oct and have made more since Oct than I have in my day job. By end of this year I would love to make this my only income.

Quoting PinkHairMAMA:

I sell for slumber, and love it. We always have so much fun and women who come in nervous, or unhappy they were dragged to this "stupid party" are always happy by the end.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Well...... I sell sex toys.... sorry you feel that all of these types of parties are not fun, but they are.

With the right consultant in any company of these types of parties, you can have fun.

If you don't want to buy, don't.

LiliMama18
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I know it's not everyone. Personally, I find that if you're not pushy, it's hard to make sales in most of these companies but if you've found a way to do it and succeed then go you!

I have zero problem being asked about it, if I'm interested I'll say yes, if not I'll say no (and I'll be clear about it, I don't do the 'well - maybe. I have to see what my schedule looks like." or "Not right now but maybe later", I literally say (politely) "No, I really don't feel like it" if they ask why, I just say "Because I just don't feel like getting involved in it" It's when people keep pushing past that point that I get annoyed.

Quoting snevins61105:

I know how you feel to a certain point.  When I went to parties, I HATED to be pressured into parties and listening to a long boring speal.

So, when I joined Miche, I went with it in a different approach.  I hated all those things you mentioned so I never once mention the business opportunity.  I mention hosting parties ONCE and it's a 5 sec mention.  I don't play any games and most of my parties are Open House style so that ladies can come & go as they please and shop and socialize as they want.  I don't call or spam people asking them to have parties or anything like that.  I figured why do the same things that I always hated.  I figure that if you love the product, they'll ask to host a party.  If they want to sell it, they'll ask for more info. 

Because of my laid back, easy going style, I have had every weekend booked with a party since January 2011 and I started in September 2010.  People ask and call me to host parties.  I've never once had to go after people and bug them to host.

So with that said, please don't frown upon all of us that are in Direct Sales.  Yes, I agree, a big majority of them are very pushy and rude but not all.  Thanks!

RheaF
by Sweet Insanity on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

So don't go to parties,lol. I sold Thirty-One, and still buy it. I LOVE their bags, and the quality is great. Plus, they are not that expensive. The purses are, but not the totes, etc. Avon, MK, etc...yeah, I don't buy any of that. It is way too overpriced(IMO). Same with Pampered Chef. I can get the same stuff at either Target, or the Kitchen store for half the price.

My only issue with it is that around here EVERYONE sells something. I got into Thirty-One and within three months 6 of my friends/family signed up(not under me). So it got really competitive. I stopped selling it and just buy now. I find I can get better deals that way too,lol.

nomadbrat83
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM
We had a passions party at my sister's house this weekend. First party I ever enjoyed lol. Course my sister went all out (never seen that much penis and boobie shaped stuff lol and lots of good food and drinks). No one at the party including my sister would ever sell this stuff or anything else though.

Quoting AllieReed:

Well, I LOVE going to Passion Parties. They are fun & any products I have purchased have been fantastic. I had one thing that didn't work & it was quickly replaced. There was NEVER a push to buy & I've gone to several where I didn't need anything. I just went for fun & boy did I have a great time! You've picked the wrong product parties &/or representatives. Sorry for the bad experiences, but they aren't all as you claim.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heavenly1462
by Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this
It sounds like you were an advisor for a company and couldn't sell and are now bitter... LOL

I sell lia sophia and am never pushy and people are always telling me how much fun they have at my shows and how much they absolutely love the jewelry. It really sells itself. I know other people who sell lia Sophia and are successful with out being pushy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teamwhitlow
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I love that, right here in this thread, there are so many great examples of the condescending direct sales people that the OP was ranting about. I have 20+ years of sales and marketing and I can tell you first hand if your product has to be peddled it IS subpar. Most great products sell themselves. When is the last time you saw someone peddling Tiffany or Coach (unless they were a knock off) Avon and Mary Kay ARE built on schemes and preying on your unsuspecting friends and family members. Scentsy is THE MOST overpriced subpar crap in recent history. No wonder so many housewives get their credit cards taken away, LOL

my4yahoos
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I don't know because when I typed in monogrammed purses into Google, I got a tone of sites selling things with initials or words embroidered on them not a monogrammed pattern.

Quoting LiliMama18:

Still waiting ----

Quoting LiliMama18:

Lol - its called....wait for it....a MONOGRAMMED PURSE. Can ya believe it?

Tell me one thing I'm pretending to know that I don't...just one...come on...

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Grow up! Unlike you I don't try to pretend that I know things I don't. I don't purchase purses that are so expensive I could pay 3-4 months of rent with.

Quoting LiliMama18:

Yeah it does matter, if you're going to call me an idiot you can at least answer the question, if you can't or won't, well-you've proved my point. :)

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Does it matter? I dont buy those purses..... they are over priced....

Quoting LiliMama18:

How come you answered this, but didn't answer when I asked you what style the purse I posted was?

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Lol.... Wow....

Quoting LiliMama18:

Yep not defensive at all. You're keeping me amused as I stretch out on a lawn chair at my yard sale. You, on the other hand are getting frustrated and angry -I'm not :)

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Who said I was getting defensive? You point out your opinions.... I point out facts about my business.... Dont like it too fucking bad....

Quoting LiliMama18:

And she is sooooo successful at it, she doesn't get defensive at all when people bring up valid points about her line of work

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

I sell for Intimate Expressions. LOVE IT! Been with the company since Oct and have made more since Oct than I have in my day job. By end of this year I would love to make this my only income.

Quoting PinkHairMAMA:

I sell for slumber, and love it. We always have so much fun and women who come in nervous, or unhappy they were dragged to this "stupid party" are always happy by the end.

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Well...... I sell sex toys.... sorry you feel that all of these types of parties are not fun, but they are.

With the right consultant in any company of these types of parties, you can have fun.

If you don't want to buy, don't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)