Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

remodeling question*pics added*

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM
  • 8 Replies

im looking to buy a home but want the kitchen open to the living room. All im finding is walls walls walls between the 2 rooms around here! So, i want to know if anyone or anyone's hubby knows how easy it is to knock down a wall like this one here? I don't care about the cabinet space, I'd just like to open the house up. Just don't know about like the wiring for the stove and such. The other side of the wall is just bare space in the living room. 

by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Dereksmom1018
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM

sure its easy to do. just make sure it is not a load bearing wall and then you should be fine.

xo.MommyW.xo
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Honestly it all depends on which wall it is
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma-flynn
by ♥Gee Willickers♥ on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:47 AM
It depends on the wall
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM
We knocked down the wall between the kitchen and dining room a few years ago. No stove or anything on that wall but it was a load bearing wall. We added a beam to hold things up and it's just fine. If your dh is handy it shouldn't be a huge deal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM
You can actually leave a 1/2 wall and that way you can keep all the wiring, counter tops, cabinets intact.
Also, removing it will depend on if it is a weight bearing wall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GracieLullaby27
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Yeah, I know I have to make sure about the load bearing part. And crwspringer, that's exactly what I want to do. Leave the bottom part since I don't want to mess with relocating the stove. Leave the stove and counter tops and bottom cabinets, just have the top part open. I don't have a DH or an SO but I'm pretty damn handy myself and come from a long line of carpenters and DIY'ers. I haven't asked any of mmy family because I don't want to have them just come in and take over and im not keen on sharing my house buying plans with most people. 

GracieLullaby27
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM

This is the front of the house. I haven't seen the inside yet but all the pictures I love it and it's perfect for us except for that damn wall =)

Who am I kidding...I just want to demo some shit!!! 

NewMama28
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM
It's a beautiful house mama!

I wouldn't have the balls to do it myself but kudos to you! Im single too so i probably should be more handy too lol.I watch the hgtv channel and I think there's some sort of gadget that can detect the beams in a load bearing wall. I'd probably visit hgtv's website... Bet you could find lots of info there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN