Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Endoscopy???

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM
  • 2 Replies

Has anyone had a child get one??? My son is 6 and is getting one at the end of the month. I don't know if they are going to put him to sleep or keep him awake. I know either way he is going to freak out. I just want to know what to expect with this. 

He is going in for failure to thrive and his sever acid reflux. He is almost 4 feet tall and only weighs 42 lbs. But he eats EVERYTHING!!! I've changed his diet to less acidic foods because of the acid and have tried eating healthier but his nutrisionalist wants me to put freaking heavy cream and butter in EVERYTHING to make the calories rise a lot. She also wants me to try the diet that they used for ADHD kids. Thats great and all but I am on a budget being a single mom and all. 

My other question is how do you make an extremely hyper child gain weight without meds? UGH 

by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
karlie2
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:05 PM
I have had two gastroscopy. Where they run a tube with a camera down the esphogas into the stomach. I'm not sure if it's the same as endoscopy.
If it is there is no way a child could go through that procedure without being sedated. I had my first one with no sedation. It was not painful but you gag a lot and have troubles
breathing when the tube goes in. It was very scarry. The second time I had sedation and it was much easier. I didn't remember much. Good luck to you and your son. Insist that he gets sedative if you are comfortable with that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anthonys_mommy1
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM
I'm thinking that sedation is the best way to go with him. the pinky problem is are they going to give him an iv for ??? He freaks out with needles

Quoting karlie2:

I have had two gastroscopy. Where they run a tube with a camera down the esphogas into the stomach. I'm not sure if it's the same as endoscopy.

If it is there is no way a child could go through that procedure without being sedated. I had my first one with no sedation. It was not painful but you gag a lot and have troubles

breathing when the tube goes in. It was very scarry. The second time I had sedation and it was much easier. I didn't remember much. Good luck to you and your son. Insist that he gets sedative if you are comfortable with that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)