Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Home schooled kids are weird.....

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM
  • 5 Replies

Just kidding....  I'm actually considering this... I am about to enroll my 4 year old in a full day program with the school district in our area.  My 2 1/2 year old will qualify for the 3 year old program in October (when he turns 3) because he has a developmental delay.  I just watched a 20/20 episode (now I know that I am  30 watching 20/20 on a Saturday night)  where some of the teachers were actually bullying the students, specifically special needs children.  I realize that this is 1 out of hundreds but I don't know how comfortable I feel about sending my kids to a place for 8 hours a day that I don't know what is being said and  what they are learning.  The episode I just watched was about parent who sent their kids to school with a smart phone to video what goes on in a classroom....  My thought is that they should have web cams in the classroom so that any parent can see exactley what is going on with their children.  They do it in day cares... Why not in schools???  I might be a little paranoid but I think that I would have a right as a mother to see exactley what is going on with my child.  Good or bad...  Thoughts????? 

by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
crazy4u49033
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I think that teachers have already lost enough autonomy. It used to be teachers were respected, but now that is far from the truth. If teachers are watched 24/7 in their rooms it would continulay discount a teachers authority and respect. It is sad that a small handful of teachers are making a bad name for teachers as a whole. If you really are having a hard time sending your kiddos then homeschool, but in reality most teachers want the best for your child.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Personally I think you are paranoid. If you want to know what is going on at the school then be an involved parent. Have a relationship with the teachers and other staff members. Volunteer in your children's classrooms. I do not think webcams are the answer. It is a fairly small percentage of students who are *bullied* by teachers.  

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM
We homeschool but because our kids are ahead and we have schools that are in academic emergency that have cut most of their programs for advanced learners. Homeschooling is not for everyone but, if you are dedicated, it is a rewarding experience. Join the Happy Homeschoolers and Homeschooling Moms groups on here. They are great ladies that can answer most questions and direct you towards the others.
jen2150
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I have chosen to homeschool for a variety of reasons.  I wanted my kids early education to be filled with curiosity and creativity.  Homeschooling has been the easiest way for me to accomplish my goals for my children.  I love being able to study the things with my kids that fire their imaginations.  My sons have about 8 teachers other than my own and I would never try and spy on them.  I trust them otherwise my children wouldn't be there.  Fear in never a good reason to homeschool.  It takes a lot of dedication and time.  Personally I would go to your library and find some homeschooling books.  Do your research and make sure it is something that is right for your family.

TarotMommy
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 4:56 PM

When teachers have to pass a psychological test then I might consider putting my son back in public school. While there are certainly wonderful teachers, there are just as many that should never even be around a child period.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN