Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Let Him Stay In It- Dirty Diaper (EDIT)

Posted by   + Show Post

I worked in the babysitting room at an athletic facility, and per company policy, caregivers were not allowed to change a diaper with a BM...we had to go get the parent and then they had to leave their workout to come change Junior...how many times i heard, "oh just let him stay in it til i'm done"...really??? you expect us to deal with that stench while you work out and wont be back for an hour?  Not to mention, no other kids will play near him cuz he stinks, and h'es stinking up the entire room...i'm sorry i had to drag you out of your workout, but there is more to think about here than just your waistline..............  I think its rotten a mother thinks more of her workout, than to come change her toddler who is sitting in his own poop.   

EDIT: It is written in the gym policy that the PARENT has to come change diapers. They KNEW  what they were signing, and KNEW they had to change their own kids, as it was reitterated when they visited the room. 

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 7:49 AM
Replies (441-450):
vinalex0581
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

i love your siggy.......very, very pretty

Quoting imafuswb:

The staff is paid through the facility, at least where I work.  The parents do not directly pay us, nor do they pay any fee to use the child care.  It is a free service for members, just the same as a fitness class or access to the pool.  And it is not a state-licensed program.  If we change a child's diaper, we get fired.

Quoting ashk4:

I'm not sure if you get paid to watch children while parents are working out, but I would not pay somebody to watch my child if they didn't change the diapers.  If you're not getting paid then, I guess it's the parents choice as to whether or not the diaper gets changed.....Don't like the smell change it yourself.  I wouldn't be able to let a child I was taking care of sit in their own poop while it festers against their sensitive skin causeing rash and blisters.  Policy or not I'd say screw it and change the poor kids diaper.

Selmada
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:24 PM

While I agree with many that the policy sucks, as long as it was made clear when they signed up at the gym then they need to abide by the policy. The thing is, that policy may not be told at sign-up, only that they have child care (with an extra fee or not) and the mom may sign up thinking its a full service child care. When she finds out it isn't she will lose money if she cancels her membership early. 

That said, since it is policy, it needs to be followed. Sucks big time because at my gym, it's so busy that if you leave a piece of equipment, it gets taken by someone else, you cant 'hold' it while you do this. 

I never left my kids with childcare at the gym even when they had it. Unless the caregivers are licensed and I know the other kids they are with, I'd rather pay a sitter if i go to the gym, go run around a park with my kids for exercise or pop in a DVD when they are asleep. 

mamaofthecastle
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:38 PM

An HOUR?! Are you kidding me?! Turn them in to CPS so they can be forced into taking parenting classes. That's Neglect!!!

RainbowSunshine
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I don't personally like gyms, but I wouldn't want the girl at the gym wiping my babies butt.  In general I think anyone who isn't related shouldn't come near my childs genitalia.  Of course, I have had the "luxury" of being a stay-at-home mom so I've never had to use child care.  Once a week my sister babysits and that's about it.

HamsterandCow
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM
I've belonged to several gyms over the past 16 years that I've been a parent. None of them would change diapers AT ALL-not even pee. They just want to minimize their risks of disease spreading and other legal issues. I've never had a problem with it. They are doing me a FAVOR by entertaining my kid and keeping him/her safe for a LOT less than a sitter would charge. Nobody likes to have to hop off the treadmill or whatever, but them's the breaks!
bhejlik
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Oh my lord in  heaven people. It's a policy. You know the policy when you come in. These bitches are lazy and putting a work out above their child's needs. It doesn't matter what you think the policy is...it is what it is. I can't beleive some of you would actually argue this. Why do I belong to these groups? It just gets my blood pressure eleveated!!!

That being said, I don't blame you for being pissed!

motherof6babies
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM

i totally agree. i work out at lifetime fitness and this is also their policy. i love the policy because i dont wont anyone else changing my childs diaper anyhow! how could you let your child get a rash just so you can work on your core.  i guess some mothers are just not concerned as me.

GrandmaMickeyS
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM

My DD runs an in-home day care and you wouldn't believe how many times she gets a kid with an OVERNIGHT dirty diaper. (from 1 family) . If you are going to have children, take care of them

cortneymae12
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM

thats just like in hospitals, the nurses can change pee diapers but if it has poop in it they have to wear gloves maybe the policy should be changed to that but that is bs the mother should come right away and change the diaper

Shelley927
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Maybe that parent needs to find another place for her child to go to when she works out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN