Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do your kids wear a helmet while riding a bike? EDIT added question

Posted by   + Show Post

Just wondering if you make your kids wear a helmet while riding there bike and or there scooter? Theres several neighbor kids that dont wear a helmet at all so my ds that almost 7 ask why they dont have to wear a helemt and if he can ride his bike without a helmet? I told him i dont know why there not wearing a helmet its not safe to not wear a helmet while riding a bike. So i asked him what are the rules about riding your bike? he says i have to wear a helmet if i want to ride my bike.

So one of the neighbor girls shes about ds age maybe a year older was riding her bike without a helmet while we went for a walk. and he asks her wheres your helmet she says i dont have one so he says you are supposed to wear a helmet its not safe and she says no im not and rides off.

EDIT: If you dont make your kids were a helmet why not? Its a huge safety issue. You make them ride in a car seat or a seat belt. you dont let them run around with knifes or play with fire and other unsafe thing why not make them wear a helmet its the same thing

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Replies (391-400):
momgirlsx2
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM

My youngest dd does for both her bike and scooter. She has had a head injury in the past and we are to prevent any future injuries.  My oldest dd doesn't in the neighborhood, but does if she goes anywhere else.

ChristieV
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm somewhat appalled that anyone is answering that their kids don't wear helmets. This is irresponsible to say the least. Most who are answering no, are not responding to the "why" portion of the question. Very curious....
gumeshoe
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Ahh you ASSUME their is an airbag and it is on. Wrong. And I know of no child that was killed in an accident. If it was common, everyone would know several. Biggest killer doesn't mean large number of deaths. This debate is like the debate of deaths associated with crib bumpers.

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Actually car accidents are the biggest killer of kids in America. So it does happen normally. And it doesn't even take a bad accident for airbags to deploy and kill your seven year old in the front seat.

Quoting gumeshoe:

Nope. I didn't either. I never had a car seat. I didn't die. Just because bad things can happen doesn't mean they normally happen.

I even allow my 7 year old to ride in the front seat. Its legal but not recommended. My neighbor is horrified. Darn it for her.

obx_Mom
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Adorable boys! Unfortunately the one on the red bike isn't getting very much protection from his helmet because his helmet isn't covering his forehead. 

It looks like he needs either a larger size or to readjust his helmet so that it sits lower on his forehead. It doesn't do any good if its not covering his ocipital lobe and his frontal lobe. 

Rlmama00
by Bronze Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:29 PM
Yes. Even the adults I see on bikes wear them.
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting gumeshoe:

I, personally, know several friends who have lost their children in car accidents and every single time it was because they were improperly restrained. I also know several who died or were severely brain damaged from bicycle accidents and they didn't involve cars either. Just because you don't know any, doesn't mean that it's a meaningless statistic. I am glad that you turn off your airbag but it is the law in many states that those under 13 ride in the backseat whenever possible and some states it's under 16.
seriousbookworm
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:31 PM
3 moms liked this
OMG! Am I the only one who ride a bike without a helmet, drank out of a water hose, played in the mud, probably had lead paint on my crib, rode in a car with no seat belt (in my parents lap no less),played outside and got dirty scraped up knees?
I was a child of the 70's. Safety was looking both ways before crossing a street, and saying your prayers at night. We never locked our doors(house or car).
My kids don't wear helmets unless they're riding their 4 wheelers or playing football. Let a kid be a kid!
gumeshoe
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:33 PM

5 yrs old, 50 lbs, airbag off. Completely legal in my state. Recommended age is 8 or 80 lbs whichever comes first. He is short so he still uses his booster seat. It took me a while to find the actual law vs the recommended guidelines.

I find it all silly. No kid wore a helmet when I was a kid. Few kids had car seats and not past being a small baby. We all lived. No issues. Now it is magically so much more dangerous now vs when I was a kid and there was no laws. I wear a seat belt only because I don't want a ticket. I am sure there is a helmet law, but no one ever gets a ticket, and no one ever gets hurt. At least not here. So there is no reason to.

Quoting Jamie1972:

I thought it was a feferal law thay any child under 13 couldny sit in the front of a car. Or maybe its a cali law

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Actually car accidents are the biggest killer of kids in America. So it does happen normally. And it doesn't even take a bad accident for airbags to deploy and kill your seven year old in the front seat.

Quoting gumeshoe:

Nope. I didn't either. I never had a car seat. I didn't die. Just because bad things can happen doesn't mean they normally happen.

I even allow my 7 year old to ride in the front seat. Its legal but not recommended. My neighbor is horrified. Darn it for her.

obx_Mom
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting seriousbookworm:

OMG! Am I the only one who ride a bike without a helmet, drank out of a water hose, played in the mud, probably had lead paint on my crib, rode in a car with no seat belt (in my parents lap no less),played outside and got dirty scraped up knees?
I was a child of the 70's. Safety was looking both ways before crossing a street, and saying your prayers at night. We never locked our doors(house or car).
My kids don't wear helmets unless they're riding their 4 wheelers or playing football. Let a kid be a kid!

We had lawn darts and croquet mallets! We were real rebels! 

marilyn623
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Not just around our backyard that is all grass. But if they were riding I the street or on pavement I would
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)