Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do your kids wear a helmet while riding a bike? EDIT added question

Posted by   + Show Post

Just wondering if you make your kids wear a helmet while riding there bike and or there scooter? Theres several neighbor kids that dont wear a helmet at all so my ds that almost 7 ask why they dont have to wear a helemt and if he can ride his bike without a helmet? I told him i dont know why there not wearing a helmet its not safe to not wear a helmet while riding a bike. So i asked him what are the rules about riding your bike? he says i have to wear a helmet if i want to ride my bike.

So one of the neighbor girls shes about ds age maybe a year older was riding her bike without a helmet while we went for a walk. and he asks her wheres your helmet she says i dont have one so he says you are supposed to wear a helmet its not safe and she says no im not and rides off.

EDIT: If you dont make your kids were a helmet why not? Its a huge safety issue. You make them ride in a car seat or a seat belt. you dont let them run around with knifes or play with fire and other unsafe thing why not make them wear a helmet its the same thing

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Replies (411-420):
seriousbookworm
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:47 PM
3 moms liked this
ObxMom right on!
I used to jump out of trees into a little wading pool.
I also used to pluck cactus needles and hide behind the hedges that lined our driveway waiting for this obnoxious boy to come riding by then throw them at him. Wet newspapers from the vacationing neighbors driveway worked really well too. (well in my defense he would scare me by turning his eyelids inside out).
I ran with scissors, rode METAL wheeled roller skates on the sidewalk (sparks going everywhere) with No helmet or knee pads, played swords with sticks, and ran around the block and played outside til Mama flicked on the porch light which was my signal to get in the house. Best times of my life. Shame kids can't play like we used to...
mjande4
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting seriousbookworm:

OMG! Am I the only one who ride a bike without a helmet, drank out of a water hose, played in the mud, probably had lead paint on my crib, rode in a car with no seat belt (in my parents lap no less),played outside and got dirty scraped up knees?
I was a child of the 70's. Safety was looking both ways before crossing a street, and saying your prayers at night. We never locked our doors(house or car).
My kids don't wear helmets unless they're riding their 4 wheelers or playing football. Let a kid be a kid!

No! You are NOT the only one! Lol
MommaGreenhalge
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM
2 moms liked this
OMG with all the "we all turned out fine" crap! No, we didn't ALL turn out fine. Hundreds of thousands of kids died in car and bicycle accidents when we were kids! If we had all turned out fine and it wasn't a big deal, there wouldn't be laws about it. Unless you were in a major accident without a helmet or seatbelt or car seat, you can't say you turned out fine without them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LADY_V088
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM
We are family of bmx racing and dirt bike racing, helmets are mandatory! And even if he is just riding out front, helmets are a MUST and real sneakers must be worn! No sandels!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM
My ds is only 2mo but when he gets a bike he will wear one. For either Christmas or his first birthday we will be buying him one of those mini quad things, should he wear one while riding that also?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
robertskids219
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Mine dont...i can see wearing one with a moped..but my sons ride tricycles...and my daughter rides a bike with training wheels...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM
3 moms liked this
Quoting momtoBrenna:

If you have MANY friends whose kids have died, I would seriously think YOU might be bad luck to be around. No offense, but I have taught at a high school in a major metro area for 20 years and I know of a total of 2 kids that died in that time. One succumbed to cancer and the other took his own life. Kid deaths are pretty rare and this desire to make them obsolete is unreasonable.
mich.el.le
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Yes, he does have to wear his helmet.

budgie1117
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this
My 7 year old niece went to the hospital TODAY for not wearing a helmet, having a bike wreck and hitting her head on the pavement. CT scans are fine and she needed one staple, but she did bleed quite a bit. Lesson learned!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fionaleslie
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

To all the people saying you lived--uh, the people who didn't wouldn't be posting on Cafemom, geniuses!

Also, it is really alarming that people are letting their five year old and seven year olds ride in the front seat of their cars. I pray nothing happens to your kids. You should read up on bone density in children and seatbelts. Their low bone density is why they are easily killed in car accidents. 

I knew a woman who used to be an EMT in the "old days" that everyone here was lucky enough to live through and she said that she saw some really horrific accidents with kids. So many, in fact, that she decided she couldn't be an EMT anymore because she was getting so depressed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN