Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do your kids wear a helmet while riding a bike? EDIT added question

Posted by   + Show Post

Just wondering if you make your kids wear a helmet while riding there bike and or there scooter? Theres several neighbor kids that dont wear a helmet at all so my ds that almost 7 ask why they dont have to wear a helemt and if he can ride his bike without a helmet? I told him i dont know why there not wearing a helmet its not safe to not wear a helmet while riding a bike. So i asked him what are the rules about riding your bike? he says i have to wear a helmet if i want to ride my bike.

So one of the neighbor girls shes about ds age maybe a year older was riding her bike without a helmet while we went for a walk. and he asks her wheres your helmet she says i dont have one so he says you are supposed to wear a helmet its not safe and she says no im not and rides off.

EDIT: If you dont make your kids were a helmet why not? Its a huge safety issue. You make them ride in a car seat or a seat belt. you dont let them run around with knifes or play with fire and other unsafe thing why not make them wear a helmet its the same thing

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
zadesmom1998
by Breezy on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Ds 8 does ds 14 doesnt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmama411
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:57 AM

yes, my boys are very clumsy, lol.

BeAmour
2 moms liked this
Absolutely. Childrens heads are so tempered even if you don't fully realize it.

Their brain isn't fully suture off in the skull until around adolesences. A bump on the back of the head can cause permanent vision loss. A bump to the front can cause all loss of motor functions.

Ds wears his helmet if he likes it or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GingerNeeSmith

No my kids don't.

lisa601
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM
Mine don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caitlinmari
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:01 AM
Yes they do
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:03 AM

No my kids don't. My youngest is 9 and she has one that she'll wear on occassion but she hasnt really worn it in awhile.  my older two 13 and 15 never wore one.

PhoebemomofBRDM
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:04 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes, and they're 19, 12, 10, and 9. My 19 year old does it out of habit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcook55
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Im afraid this could happen to my kids if they werent wearing a helmet. when i was a kid my mom made me wear a helmet and i hated it i would pet my helmet on than after i got down the rode i would take it off. well one day before i got down the rode there was a rock in the road i didnt see and it sent me flying in the air and i fell really hard on my head but i was wearing my helmet which saved me from alot of issues i could of had.

Quoting BeAmour:

Absolutely. Childrens heads are so tempered even if you don't fully realize it.

Their brain isn't fully suture off in the skull until around adolesences. A bump on the back of the head can cause permanent vision loss. A bump to the front can cause all loss of motor functions.

Ds wears his helmet if he likes it or not.

KikismamaAde
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Scooter, no, bike, yes, 99% of the time she wears a helmet. The only times that she doesn't is sometimes she just likes to sit on her bike in the driveway and pedal slowing around, so I dont make her wear one then. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN