Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Do your kids wear a helmet while riding a bike? EDIT added question

Posted by   + Show Post

Just wondering if you make your kids wear a helmet while riding there bike and or there scooter? Theres several neighbor kids that dont wear a helmet at all so my ds that almost 7 ask why they dont have to wear a helemt and if he can ride his bike without a helmet? I told him i dont know why there not wearing a helmet its not safe to not wear a helmet while riding a bike. So i asked him what are the rules about riding your bike? he says i have to wear a helmet if i want to ride my bike.

So one of the neighbor girls shes about ds age maybe a year older was riding her bike without a helmet while we went for a walk. and he asks her wheres your helmet she says i dont have one so he says you are supposed to wear a helmet its not safe and she says no im not and rides off.

EDIT: If you dont make your kids were a helmet why not? Its a huge safety issue. You make them ride in a car seat or a seat belt. you dont let them run around with knifes or play with fire and other unsafe thing why not make them wear a helmet its the same thing

by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Replies (21-30):
kcook55
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:07 AM

cute! i love the older boys helmet. i just bought my 2 kids new helmets the other day dd picked priness and ds got one with flames

Quoting lovinmama411:

yes, my boys are very clumsy, lol.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine are only 5 & 3 and yes they wear helmets 99% of the time. My 3 year old can barely pedal her bike and my 5 year old still has training wheels. Not sure how long I will enforce it though. I never wore a helmet as a kid and honestly probably would have rode my by if I was forced to wear one of those things on my head in the hot summer.

lovingwifey
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:08 AM

My children wear a helmet, they are 5,4 and 4.  Two years ago my now 5 year old was riding his bike.  It turned windy so we were going home from the park.  Well a big gust of wind came and knocked my son over, he fell right on his head.  If it was not for his helmet he would have busted his head open.  

It is supposed to be a rule here on base, but I think our kids are the only ones who wear helmets.  SMH.

rebmarie90
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Yes DS wears a helmet he is still learning. I don't know how long I will make him where it but he will wear one till I feel he is old enough to decide and he knows all the safety issues with not wearing one. 

black.eyeliner
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:09 AM
Yes. We had two bike accidents that were very serious. Thankfully I am strict with the helmet rule. The worst was my 12 year old who was run down in a cross walk and the tire hit her head. She suffered minor fractures to her skull and brain swelling. The helmet was destroyed. If she hadn't been wearing it my daughters skull would have shattered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcook55
by Platinum Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:10 AM

bump for question

AMR320
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:11 AM
Yes. It has been a rule since her 3rd bday when she got her first bike and it will continue to be a rule until she moves out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dandylynes
by Gold Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:12 AM
No, she doesn't. She's 14 though. Even if I insisted she did, she would take it off as soon as she was out of sight. She's also a skater and doesn't wear a helmet for that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannieP
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM
This. People around here drive like assholes an you just never know. My kids are young so I am supervising them but still... They also aren't allowed to ride I. The stree unless I am standing in the street with them

Quoting black.eyeliner:

Yes. We had two bike accidents that were very serious. Thankfully I am strict with the helmet rule. The worst was my 12 year old who was run down in a cross walk and the tire hit her head. She suffered minor fractures to her skull and brain swelling. The helmet was destroyed. If she hadn't been wearing it my daughters skull would have shattered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Braydens_Mama11
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 10:15 AM
I'm going to buy DD(5) a helmet when her training wheels come off. Which will be very soon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN