Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What would make you change your childs current doctor?

Posted by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM
  • 23 Replies

I just got back from the doctor for my daughters 10 year old check up. It took 2 hours, mostly waiting time. Every time we go there, we are there a minimum of 2 hours. I have 4 kids so with various appts I spend a lot of time there. I don't care for this doctor at all really. We just moved here and still are fairly new to their practice. Another thing that bothers me is that who we see is actually not a Doctor at all, but a Physicians Asst. to the D.O. She is nice enough, but like with today they lost my daughters shot records that I provided them for the 2nd time. They had on their sheet that she hasn't had any shots since 2004 in this state, they took that to mean that she was very far behind etc. She's not, we just moved back to this state after living in MO for 5 years, and we just moved last year to this town. Another thing is that they said she failed her eye test and asked me if she was wearing her glasses at the time, they had just performed the eye test 10 min ago! Without me in the room, shouldn't they know? They asked how if it had been a long time since she had an exam, I said nope she just got her new glasses in Jan. So they redid the test and she passed. In any case I just don't care for how they run things, and I think it's time to look for a new one. Am I nit picking or would these things upset you too?

by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M0M0F3B0YS82
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh I would change too for sure seems like they can get organized.. I've changed drs for similar reasons
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I changed doctors for my kids when the doctor tolde my daughter might have a potentially life threatening blood disorder but it was no big deal but then told me he was too busy to explain anything to me... That was the last time my kids saw him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyLehr
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
But in your case I would Try to change doctors... I hate unorganized offices and I hate waiting that long for an appoitmet!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heyma4
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:24 PM

OH my!! Is she ok now? How in the hell could they say they didn't have time to explain it to you?!? You paid for that block of time!

Quoting MommyLehr:

I changed doctors for my kids when the doctor tolde my daughter might have a potentially life threatening blood disorder but it was no big deal but then told me he was too busy to explain anything to me... That was the last time my kids saw him.

notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM

In a heartbeat.

inspain
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I don't think I've ever waited more than ten minutes with this pediatrician and we've been with him five years.

I would dump this pediatrician, if I were you.

Reasons I'd dump our doc? 

Pressure about vaccinations (and I'm NOT anti-vax). 

Long waits.

Bad attitude.

Incompetence.

Carelessness.

And even ONE mention of religion, especially in regard to parenting.  I had that happen in South Carolina when one pediatrician told me not to allow my DD to watch Teletubbies (he just brought it up, totally unsolicited INSTRUCTIONS, not even advice), due to what he saw as "the paganistic influences and the homosexual overtones".  I told him I wasn't asking his opinion on television shows.  Fired him right then.  Next pediatrician, also in SC, told me that "At 18 months old, she's more than ready to start learning to say her prayers."  I was not nice, I walked out, I fired him. 

So far, no mention of religion from this doc, just lots of talk about where to go for good Italian food.  ;-)

MommyLehr
by Gold Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Yeah she is okay! Thank goodness! She tested positive for it at her newborn screening but the follow up tests were all negative! But is scared the hell outta me when I got a letter from the Pennsylvania childrens center for sickle cell and other blood disorders!!! I nearly crapped my pants when that letter came.

Quoting heyma4:

OH my!! Is she ok now? How in the hell could they say they didn't have time to explain it to you?!? You paid for that block of time!

Quoting MommyLehr:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Soulmate-2-R
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:29 PM

I changed a few yrs ago when he told me i was overreacting and just "being a girl" when i had serious concerns about my dd speech, fine motor and behavior.....after switching drs. and finally being taken seriously she was diagnosed with educational autism and borderline behavioral disorder and is doing TONS better now with all the appropriate services....

Josie.Grossie
by on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:30 PM
I change doctors if I am unhappy for any reasons. For example the things I have changed doctors for:
Rude staff

Unable to schedule all 3 kids in 1 day

Exams room too small

Being able to hear staff talk about private patient business while in waiting room.

Unhappy with doctors comments
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 5:31 PM
When my son was misdiagnose with allergies when he really had bad bronchitis and almost admitted to childerns hospital for pnuimunia. I have an awesome dr now. The wait sucks but they take their time with my kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN