Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

DS is reading numbers backwards.. I'm concerned

Posted by   + Show Post
Ive been noticed my son reading numbers backwards. I always correct him and never make it a big deal but id be a liar if i said I wasn't worried. Is this normal for a 5 year old? I don't know other symptoms of dyslexia.
He had a kindergarten assessment and his teacher said he is absolutely ready. She said he knows that reading starts from left to right... so that does ease my mind.

Any advice? Does this eventually go away? Is there a source I can go to? Any help is appreciate. Please share your stories If you have any.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Replies (11-20):
LovemyQ
by Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:31 AM

It is very very normal. Do not go for testing and all that yet. Sometimes they need a bit of a picture to remember which way they go. look in google images for "super why bed". It is a bed made from letters and is easy to remember because the sticks from b & d make the head and foot boards. Did that make sense?

Anyway, it is totally normal for this age.

Livinwith3boys
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 11:32 AM

totally normal :)

cherrywaves21
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 4:56 PM
Youre welcome!:)

Quoting AEP210:

Thank you.

Quoting cherrywaves21:

I switch my numbers to this day. Just inform his teacher and keep an eye on it. It's not a big deal but could be in the long run.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jun. 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM
Reading and writing letters and numbers backwards is very common and isn't considered an issue until 3rd grade. Switching b and d is most common.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Honestly, a lot of kids mix up and confuse letters and numbers until about 7 years old, when they become more fluent in reading and writing.
DD is an excellent reader.  She's 6, almost 7.  But, when you have her write or read just the letter b, d, f, e, 3, 7, 9...she occasionally gets them backwards.

I would not worry about it, right now.  He's still learning a new language.

bopanddomsmom
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:32 AM
my dd did that, she even wrote backwards (normal letters. but from bottom right to top left lol) after a few months in kindergarten it went away :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jay9xoxo
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:33 AM
My son is 6 and still does it occasionally. He write letters backwards sometimes too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smushy79
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:34 AM

My son just turned 6 and will start 1st grade this fall. He still switches b and d around. Sometimes when he writes his numbers, like 5 or 7, he will write those backwards. I dont think it is a big deal, just keep an eye on it.

malissaL
by Malissa on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Normal. Don't worry too hard about it. Keep in contact with his teachers and they will give you a heads up when it becomes a concern. 

mommasbabies77
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

totally normal :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)